PDA

View Full Version : HELP! e34 left indicator stuck on constantly

luke--ryan
10-19-2008, 10:02 PM
My e34 525i left indicator is stuck on at all times even when car is off. (not flashing) it is the whoel left hand side, front, side and rear

i have pulled out all the switch's above the pedals that lead to the indicator stalk on the side of the sterring wheel to see if it was the switch that was were the problem was and at no stage did the lights turn off.

pulling out the fuse does turn it off

when i indicate to the right, the right indicator flashs once, and once only, i have to manually use the indicator stalk to turn keep putting it on and off so i can indicate to the right, but cant indicate to the left at any time because the light is stuck on. :dunno:

i rang the guys at BMW and they told me that it would be the indicator stalk (which i believe i have cancelled it out being the problem) or the indicator box????

can anyone help me?

Thanks

raysmythe
10-20-2008, 04:38 AM
Is the steering wheel straight? Did an "event" cause the problem?

I have a similar issue. My left turn indicator will not cancel. I'm looking into it and think that the fact that the steering wheel in cocked to the left has something to do with the problem. I don't know if it's an alignment thing (aligned with the steering wheel cocked) or if the previous owner removed and reinstalled the steering wheel.

Either way, I'll get it fixed. Just worried about messing with the air bag...need instructions on steering wheel removal. Any advice? (I found a copy of Haynes manual on-line and have ordered Bentley's)

Thanks! Ray

raysmythe
10-20-2008, 05:25 PM
Fixed!

I looked up how to handle the SRS airbag...turns out that there's a bright orange connector under the steering column that needs to be disconnected before you mess with the air bag. It was easy. 2 screws behind the wheel hold the airbag on. A 21 mm nut holds the wheel to the column. I removed the steering wheel (didn't even need a puller!), turned it to where I wanted it (parked the car with tires straight) and reinstalled the nut, airbag, connector and plastic cover under the column.

Signals now cancel when they are supposed to. While inside I saw a cast metal plate with raised portions, located to the right of center. This seemed to be the canceling mechanism. Shouldn't be too hard figure yours out by simply poking around behind the airbag.

Caution: I disconnected the battery "just in case". You should record your radio code (if you have a stock radio) before removing power.

Ray

luke--ryan
10-21-2008, 05:08 AM
no event happened..

and i have a feeling my steering wheel is not stock, but not 100% sure as i do not know what the stock one looks like and it does not look like there is a airbag in it?? could be wrong

it is not that it wont cancel at the right time, it is that there is a constant light on that wont turn off, ever.

i pulled the indicator fuse out so that it does not stay on and drain my battery, but i now am driving around with no indicators (pretty dodgy)

i have a feeling that how a indicator works is that there is some sort of mechanisim that cuts and breaks the circuit at a curtain rate makeing the indicator have the flashing effect that they do. what i think is the problem is that the mechanism has stopped in the position of keeping the circuit connected, and therefore making it stay on at all times...

why the right indicator only flashs once?? i have no idea.

does anyone no where this mechanisim would be situated so that i can have a look and see if i can figure it out.... as i am not keen to hand it into bmw were they will charge me AU$145 an hour

any help would be muchly appreciated

thanks

CarDriver
10-21-2008, 06:41 AM
no event happened..

and i have a feeling my steering wheel is not stock, but not 100% sure as i do not know what the stock one looks like and it does not look like there is a airbag in it?? could be wrong

it is not that it wont cancel at the right time, it is that there is a constant light on that wont turn off, ever.

i pulled the indicator fuse out so that it does not stay on and drain my battery, but i now am driving around with no indicators (pretty dodgy)

i have a feeling that how a indicator works is that there is some sort of mechanisim that cuts and breaks the circuit at a curtain rate makeing the indicator have the flashing effect that they do. what i think is the problem is that the mechanism has stopped in the position of keeping the circuit connected, and therefore making it stay on at all times...

why the right indicator only flashs once?? i have no idea.

does anyone no where this mechanisim would be situated so that i can have a look and see if i can figure it out.... as i am not keen to hand it into bmw were they will charge me AU$145 an hour

any help would be muchly appreciated

thanks

It seems like there is a mechanical problem in your steering column. Remove your steering wheel and see what is going on under there. When the flasher relay goes it usually stops working all together. So it does not seem that it could be the problem :dunno:

Look up your year car on google Images. Type in for example, 1990 E34 steering wheel. you will see picks of exactly what your wheel should look like. If your car came with an air bag you can easily tell by looking under the hood. Look for bright orange sensors on either side in the engine compartment. they will be about half inch round and two inches long. If you have them then there is supposed to be an air bag in the steering wheel.

chappienz
06-08-2009, 03:10 PM
hey luke
I have 525 and left indicator stays on also
have just put another stalk on steering column but hasn't fixed
did you have any luck or can you advise
many thanks
chappie

jimoreno
06-09-2009, 06:33 AM
Your problem might be a stuck turn signal relay. Replace it.

chappienz
06-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Hey thanks for your input
I have replaced the indicator relay and fuses look good also
Right hand works ok but left doesnt go and then it works but stays on and
very hard to switch off (remove fuse and relay)
The steering wheel seems to be centred ok
It doesnt have airbags
I'd love to fix it before having to involve garage expense
Many thanks if you have any more thoughts

jimoreno
06-17-2009, 08:50 AM
Replace the switch on the steering column.

chappienz
06-17-2009, 09:38 AM
Thanks Jimmy
I'll give that a go.

Chappie

e24 633i
e23 728i
e34 525i

ross1
06-18-2009, 08:54 AM
the steering column switch won't cause the symptoms described.
Try the relay, it's in the underhood e-box, a tall square one with 7 pins.
Sometimes a stuck relay can be freed with a good "tap" on it, a temp fix at best but worth a try.

chappienz
06-20-2009, 08:57 AM
Ross

Called in to a breakers yard this morning and got the relay you suggested.7 pins
Guess what? The indicators are now functioning normally.
Well done mate for that advise and many thanks for the input of others on the
sight. Its a great feeling when you can sort a problem out without the expense
of a garage.
Many thanks

Chappie

jimoreno
06-22-2009, 05:33 AM
I thought you said that you had replaced the relay? Hmm...well good thing is back to normal!

chappienz
06-22-2009, 12:29 PM
Jimmy

Sorry mate to confuse you
Yes I had replaced the relay but the yellow one with 2 pins in the corner
which the chart said was indicator relay
The 7 pin one was the one at fault
Thanks mate for your help and sorry if there was a misunderstanding
Many thanks

Chappie

MeanM50
06-22-2009, 02:14 PM
For the other fella with the same problem:

The relay isn't always to blame...if replacing it doesn't work, it's almost ALWAYS the LKM module. It controls all light bulbs on the car. The solder joints go bad and short out...sometimes it leaves random lights on all the time. Junk yards should have them pretty cheap. BEWARE: There are more than one part # for LKMs....so make sure to match it up with what you already have.

jimoreno
06-23-2009, 06:38 AM
Not a problem man! Just making sure you actually said it since I might be making things up sometimes!

ross1
06-25-2009, 02:39 PM
Ross

Called in to a breakers yard this morning and got the relay you suggested.7 pins
Guess what? The indicators are now functioning normally.
Well done mate for that advise and many thanks for the input of others on the
sight. Its a great feeling when you can sort a problem out without the expense
of a garage.
Many thanks

Chappie

Pleased to help. I have a spare I'd have offered but shipping would have exceeded it's value.