PDA

View Full Version : Oil and Oil Filter

BXS1118
10-20-2008, 12:58 PM
Last time I changed my oil I went to autozone to try and find the right oil filter in order to save some money and do it myself. Autozone didn't carry it, neither did the Quicklube next door. The Quicklube said they needed to the oil filter too (which being a noob, didn't know was necessary to change oil). Its time for me to changethe oil again and was just wondering what to do in order to save the most bones? I had to take it into the dealership last time (bad choice money wise). They used 10W30. Any help or information would be appreciated. Thanks. :str8pimpi

djfitter
10-20-2008, 01:00 PM
Last time I replaced my oil I went to autozone to try and find the right oil filter in order to save some money and do it myself. Autozone didn't carry it, neither did the Quicklube next door. Its time for me to replace the oil again and was just wondering what to do in order to save the most bones? I had to take it into the dealership last time (bad choice money wise). They used 10W30. Any help or information would be appreciated. Thanks. :str8pimpi

If you want to DIY and can't find the oil filter anywhere else, get it from the dealer. :)

dj

yaofeng
10-20-2008, 01:03 PM
Buy mail order along with other maintenance items. Stay away from the dealership.

cpnwrench
10-21-2008, 03:13 AM
FRAM makes a pretty good one. I got mine at AutoZone works just fine, saved 8 bucks.

most good auto parts stores have a set of books near the filters etc., which you can look up your year model etc. it will tell you the PN for your car.

if you are lucky they will have it...oh yeah you can also shop AutoZone on line they will ship right to you!

If your changin filters might want to see their prices for air filter (both engine and interior filter) and fuel filter. you might be surprised.
Also another on-line source is www.rockauto.com they usually have a lot of stuff .

hope this helps.

:smokin:

EyeDoc1
10-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Look in your local Yellow Pages for an auto parts retailer who specializes in foreign auto parts. Forget the mass market chain places that deal mostly in American and some Japanese stuff. The independent places usually are a wealth of knowledge about foreign cars, and have most obscure filters in stock or available in 24 hours. Plus, if they don't have it, they usually know where to get it.

Check your owners manual for recommended grades of oil

Hope this helps.

Christen

sstuner
10-22-2008, 12:06 AM
i go to an independant parts shop up where i live, i save thousands a year. and yes they do have the weird stuff there. i needed an oring for a VW passat oil cooler, i stopped in and asked if they had one, the dude turned around and pulled this paper bag off the hook and there was the o-ring.

it was awesome

verdell
10-22-2008, 02:16 PM
Yeah build a relationship with a local independent. I have a good one here that I can ask if he thinks I can do the job myself and he'll say yay or nay. And then advise me. He's even loaned me tools. Get my oil filters from him for $10.50. Even took two mercedes filters I had for 2 years after I got rid of the car and he traded them for a couple for my BMW.

sstuner
10-23-2008, 12:35 AM
i love the indy shops. they actually care. up here we have a place called parts source. just like auto zone. and these retards barely know what a car is.

i remember going in to get a spring kit for my truck brakes and dude was telling that i dont have drum brakes on the back. and then he started getting rude about it. so i pretty much told him to get his boss or i would beat the s*it out of him right there on the spot, and i got my spring kit

but what can a guy do when your return spring brakes on a sunday morning.

BXS1118
10-26-2008, 06:09 PM
Well. I just checked out Autozone and they're saying they got some filters in stock. I was unable to find any foreign indy stores in Grand Rapids. If anyone knows of one in the area I would love to know :p

But from now on, I'm planning on just buying from Autozone. Now for a quick oil question.

I'm currently using 10W30. And the suggested change time is only 3k miles. Is it okay to switch a BMW to synthetic though its been running regular? And would it be worth it to buy synthetic as far as mpg, performance, etc.?

By the way, Thanks for all the advice so far guys. Its really helped. :D

bimmer dot info
10-27-2008, 08:32 AM
10W30 is probably a bit thin. I'm in cinci and I run 15W40 year round. Synthetic is nice but if you have any gunk holding gaskets together the synthetic could cause oil leaks.

Acschnitzer90
10-28-2008, 10:55 AM
you can get it off of auto parts wharehouse . or pelican

taws34
10-28-2008, 01:35 PM
Try autohausaz.com Excellent delivery time, cheap prices and quality parts.

/ is now a fan of theirs :)