PDA

View Full Version : oil pressure sensor message

rockin1978ta
10-20-2008, 07:43 PM
My wifes 89 535I gives "oil pressure sensor" message only after you turn off the car. I'm a newbie, but the car runs and drives good. The message doesn't come on any other time until you shut off the car, then it goes away when you open the door. Anybody else see this?

cpnwrench
10-21-2008, 01:59 AM
Change it! it is defective. I had a similar problem the the "Coolant Level Sensor". the message would come on after I turn off car and get out. once I changed it (see my post about fixing leaks etc)., the message was gone!!!!! should not be too difficult to get to, if you have the oil filter canister near the front of the motor it is very near that. (at least on the M50 motor).

hope this helps!!!!

:smokin:

Starch
10-21-2008, 12:39 PM
Have you looked at the manual?

In mine (different year and model, of course), in the section near the front on "Indicator and warning lamps," there are three entries that relate to the oil warning lamp.

1 - If it turns on red while driving (you need oil now!)

2 - If it turns yellow while driving (you need oil soon).

3 - I'll quote in full:

Engine oil level
Comes on after the engine has been switched off: add engine oil at your earliest opportunity, such as when you next stop to refuel.

My interpretation of this is that when the light comes on after you switch off, it's not making a mistake, but doing what it's designed to do, which is give you an early warning.

dannyc9997
10-21-2008, 06:02 PM
My wifes 89 535I gives "oil pressure sensor" message only after you turn off the car. I'm a newbie, but the car runs and drives good. The message doesn't come on any other time until you shut off the car, then it goes away when you open the door. Anybody else see this?

Your oil pressure sensor is not working. The car may run and drive fine but if your oil pressure drops the oil light and message "Engine oil press" will not illuminate. This is not a problem if a person familier with internal combustion engines is driving the car, as they will notice the problem regardless of the light, however if your wife is not car swavy then change the sensor so she will know to pull over if that happens. :thumbup: