PDA

View Full Version : Amazing how hub rings work

sleepysal
10-21-2008, 04:30 PM
Two weeks ago I put a new( to me) set of wheels on my 91. I drove it on the free way at 80 mph with no problems. Last week I was driving on the expressway and at 55mph it started to shake. I had NOT put on any hubcentric rings. I ordered some, installed them , problem gone !!!
Yea I know not a great post, but man its the little things that can make or break you.:bigpimp:

EyeDoc1
10-21-2008, 04:42 PM
what is a hubcentric ring, and when or why would you use it.

Like I said, always willing to learn.

Christen

CarDriver
10-22-2008, 06:36 AM
HubCentric rings are in essence spacers. They are used when the Inside diameter of the Wheel hub is too great for the outside diameter of the rotors or drums Center Flange. if sized correctly, HubCentric rings will center your wheels/Rims over the rotors. If your Wheels were made for your specific model and year car, HubCentric rings are not required. Many aftermarket wheel manufacturers make a wheel that will fit on multiple models and makes by only matching up bolt patterns and cutting the hubs oversize. This saves them on tooling costs and overhead.

http://www.prestigewheel.com/Catalog/HubRings66_67.pdf

willysully
10-22-2008, 07:09 AM
Why not purchase the propper wheel for the vehicle? Hub rings are generally used for wheels. that are not designed for a particular application.

CarDriver
10-22-2008, 10:59 AM
Why not purchase the propper wheel for the vehicle? Hub rings are generally used for wheels. that are not designed for a particular application.

Hmmm, never thought of that... Lets see. $2,000.00 + for a new set of rims or $25.00 for a set of rings. :dunno: I can't figure it out. You do raise a great argument. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Just kidding. I am kinda with you on that one. but it all depends on the circumstance. When I chose the rims I wanted to put on my sedan, I narrowed my selections to the ones that were made for my specific application. Buts thats just me. People want what they want and if it needs rings they will do it to put the rims they want on the car.

But I will say this: If I found out that my car had a shimmy and there was a choice between rings or buying new rims that were not in the budget at the time. Rings it would be :thumbup:

sleepysal
10-24-2008, 03:52 PM

Oh man to just have extra cash to get OE wheels!!! Like car and driver said, most after market wheel compamies will make wheels to fit more then just one car,and use hub centric rings to allow more coverage.
The wheels that came on my 91 were BUTT UGLY !!! I paid 150.00 for some nice rims and 10.00 for the hubcentric rings. I will post pics soon.:thumbup:

Viktor
10-24-2008, 06:58 PM
I agree hub rings make a huuuuuuuuuuge difference!!