PDA

View Full Version : How long should the cabin air filter last?

Beemaboy
10-22-2008, 07:28 AM
Well...as the title says...

I bought my 525I about 3 years ago and never had a problem with the blower. I decided to put it the micro filter just because the car was missing one and I like to have a 'complete' car. Well, after 9 months and 12000KM, the blower is hardly working. I went the whole way through Winter with a heater that was never hot aswell as part of this summer with no aircon. Even on fan speed 4, there was hardly any flow at all. I tore apart the dashboard one again and got the filter out. It was BLACK and covered in dust. As soon as I got the filter out and tested the blower system out, I get a really HOT heater again and an ICE cold aircon...

How can the filter clog this quickly?
At the moment, I am not running a filter because I will end up destroying the dashboard if I have to replace this thing EVERY service...

Thanks
Rawdon

djfitter
10-22-2008, 09:05 AM
Easy. It's called dirty air. :dunno:
You change them when they get dirty.
dj

CarDriver
10-22-2008, 11:27 AM
How long any air filter, on any system lasts is largely dependent on two factors.

1. How often you use the system
2. The environment the system is used in

in your case, changing the filter twice per year should be sufficient.

Not sure why you would need to rip out the dashboard to replace the filter. I need to check my manual but it should not be as much trouble as that. I will get back to you on that one.

zumir
10-22-2008, 06:35 PM
Hey, beema, it's no trouble to replace the filter. I mean, I didn't need my glove compartment anyway.

attack eagle
10-22-2008, 09:47 PM
huh, it takes only a couple of minutes longer to change the microfilter than it does to change the airfilter.

It is a 20 minute job, and one that I have photo-detailed very nicely for you in numerous places on the web.

I usually get about 1 years use out of one filter. Garage kept car, minimal summer driving, but a dusty environment.