BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Cheaper / alternative parts for 520i?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  fishdad 
#1 ·
Gidday folks. I have an unwell 520i and called a mechanic out to get it started. Turned out to be a spark plug problem, which was fixed BUT also turns out I should get a new coil, leads (he said he can get em for around 300 bucks --- I said he knows where he can install them at THAT price) and battery. OK....a mate of mine reakons he's got a couple of bosch coils for a nissan and they would probably fit the BM. Does anyone know if we can get cheaper, generic parts like the coil, radiator perhaps, and alternators etc?
If not, why not???
Hope someone can help me.
Cheers to all.

#2 ·
Being that you are "down under" in Australia, most of the members here are from the US and won't be able to help with parts. Most electric stuff in our cars is Bosch or Hella so they should be available. I suggest getting in touch with your local BMW clubs to find where they get good deals on parts. DON'T get Bosch spark plug wires as the popular opinion is that they are really crappy. Do go for Beru wires, Bosch spark plugs, ignition cap and rotor. In the US, these parts would be close to US$200 (ignition cap, rotor, spark plugs and wires) but shipping will kill you. You can also try Ebay (I hope they have an Aussie site!) for parts too.
G'day mate!

#3 ·
sticker shock

I just called the auto parts store for ignition wires for my '88 735i and was told they are $130 for the set. The wires dont look magic to me, I'm going to bring the longest one to the store and match it to something reasonably priced that has the same boot length and wire length and resistance, I dont see why that wouldnt work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.