PDA

View Full Version : Atf

BXS1118
10-25-2008, 11:51 AM
My 95' 530i has been getting stuck in 4th gear lately, sucking gas. It only happens right when I start the car, after its been running for awhile it shifts properly. It seems when its cold, it won't shift up to the higher gears. I was wondering what kind of problem this is, whether involving pressure or just the ATF. Should I change the ATF as a start to fixing this problem?

dannyc9997
10-25-2008, 02:22 PM
Are you getting a message in your check control that says "Trans program"?

BXS1118
10-26-2008, 03:46 PM
No. I'm not getting a message.

bimmer dot info
10-27-2008, 07:30 AM
Start with a partial fluid and filter change.

Rodrick Msuya
11-17-2008, 11:49 PM
I have a similar problem with my car, but my one goes back to third gear just after going to fourth. It does not happen that often, only in some cases in the evening when I leave work after the car is parked since morning when I got to work.
Can you please update us if the fluid and filter change did the trick?

hokiepolk
11-18-2008, 09:38 AM
First, slippage of transmission after braking hard or stopping at stop sign and also while cornering. Now, I have a whining sound when I start engine up. Trans shifts fine in higher gears and whining quickly goes away once warmed up, but seems now to be lasting longer.

I'm coming to believe that ATF fluid may be low...been getting a couple drips onto garage floor. My manual indicates that to be a possible troubleshoot cause for 1st gear rough lurch after hard braking or cornering. Whining could be lack of lube oil to tranny gears.

I'm planning on pulling sump & strainer, cleaning mags and sump, and replacing ATF to fill. Will probably first add some atf to see if its low (no dipstick on this unit) and if full fluid solves temporary issues. Gotta get my hands on gaskets & oring anyway, so temp fill may temporarily solve my problem until I have those in hand.

Tranny was serviced ~40k miles ago, so its not too far off recommended 50-60k recommended service interval. I gotta find out what the leak is though...appears to be a hose/clamp connection. May snap a pic tonite to post if that's what it is. Originally thought slight drips were from engine oil, but now I'm thinking it may be tranny cooler lines as I'm not leaking or losing any oil level in engine. Don't like that you can't check tranny level. Not having any service indicators for trans coming up, but that 1st gear lurch and the new whining noise have got to be improved.

Hope both our problems are easily resolved. Let me know how you go with the fix...and how it works out for you. Vice Versa here.

-hokiepolk