PDA

View Full Version : Got my Zaino drug lab (ahem) Z-FX today

alee
03-04-2002, 01:11 PM
Is it just me or does the Z-FX kit look a little thin? I have my little blue dropper bottle which is half full, and 4 vials, 1 with a blue top, 3 with a white top.

I'm sure it works well, but I was kinda expecting a little more... or a lot more. At least the blue dropper bottle could have been filled all the way. :mad:

Anybody got a mass spectrometer I could use? Z1, Z2, Z5 I don't mind buying when I need it, but I kinda feel ripped by Z-FX.

I guess I'll be giving Z-FX a shot this weekend assuming the weather stays in the low to mid 50s on Saturday.

EDIT: here are some pics of my mini Z lab...

http://staff.pop3now.com/alee/bmw/zfx/druglab1.jpg

http://staff.pop3now.com/alee/bmw/zfx/druglab2.jpg

http://staff.pop3now.com/alee/bmw/zfx/druglab3.jpg

-Al

ALEX325i
03-04-2002, 01:14 PM
Yup... Kinda' deceiving, considering the price... I have yet to give it a try... Still waiting for my 6" counterweight and hook and loop... :(

ALEX325i
03-04-2002, 01:19 PM
BTW Al, check out what a good wash plus quick Z6 detailing do to CB... :D

http://members.roadfly.com/mosal01/Z6.JPG

Was that you getting off the phone with your sales advisor after placing an order for a 02 CB/Gray M3 w/SMGII? :thumb:

alee
03-04-2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by ALEX325i
BTW Al, check out what a good wash plus quick Z6 detailing do to CB... :D

Holy crap Alex... that is some awesome shine you have going on! How's the swirls treating you or have you beat them with your PC? :D

Guest84
03-04-2002, 01:31 PM
Niiiiice Alex! (Rip pulls up his boot straps, oils the Porter Cable in preparation for this years Buff job beginning in two weeks)

alee
03-04-2002, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Niiiiice Alex! (Rip pulls up his boot straps, oils the Porter Cable in preparation for this years Buff job beginning in two weeks)
You using your vacation days up for this event? :D

ALEX325i
03-04-2002, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by alee

Holy crap Alex... that is some awesome shine you have going on! How's the swirls treating you or have you beat them with your PC? :D

Believe it or not, Z6 got rid of them. At least it's kinda' hard to find them now...

I just got off the phone with Coastaltools. They shipped my 6" counterweight and hook and loop (velcro) last Friday. I'll give it (and ZFX) a try next weekend if the weather is nice... :thumb:

ALEX325i
03-04-2002, 02:00 PM

Thanks Rip. But in the "wet look" dept., I still have a lot to learn to come close to you and Al... :) Maybe the PC will help me come closer... :thumb:

Alex Baumann
03-04-2002, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by ALEX325i

Thanks Rip. But in the "wet look" dept., I still have a lot to learn to come close to you and Al... :) Maybe the PC will help me come closer... :thumb:

Zaino = Wet look :D

http://erikli-hamburg.bei.t-online.de/nose1.jpg

Guest84
03-04-2002, 02:15 PM
HOLY MOLY! Nice Alex!

Guest84
03-04-2002, 02:16 PM
Just want to say Im proud of you guys! You give BMW a good name when you keep that auto looking good! Sweet! I like OCD type people, they're normal IMO :)

alee
03-04-2002, 02:17 PM
Just want to say Im proud of you guys! You give BMW a good name when you keep that auto looking good! Sweet! I like OCD type people, they're normal IMO :)
:thumb: It's important to take care of your toys. :D

ALEX325i
03-04-2002, 02:29 PM

:thumb: It's important to take care of your toys. :D

Most definitely... Specially when they cost SO much $$$ ;)

alee
03-04-2002, 03:28 PM
Pics added to my original post above. :thumb:

Mike 325xi
03-04-2002, 04:38 PM
Is it just me or does the Z-FX kit look a little thin? I have my little blue dropper bottle which is half full, and 4 vials, 1 with a blue top, 3 with a white top.

I'm sure it works well, but I was kinda expecting a little more... or a lot more. At least the blue dropper bottle could have been filled all the way. :mad:

Anybody got a mass spectrometer I could use? Z1, Z2, Z5 I don't mind buying when I need it, but I kinda feel ripped by Z-FX.

I guess I'll be giving Z-FX a shot this weekend assuming the weather stays in the low to mid 50s on Saturday.

EDIT: here are some pics of my mini Z lab...

http://staff.pop3now.com/alee/bmw/zfx/druglab1.jpg

http://staff.pop3now.com/alee/bmw/zfx/druglab2.jpg

http://staff.pop3now.com/alee/bmw/zfx/druglab3.jpg

-Al
That's it?? That's the whole kit?? It cost how much?? :yikes: I hope it really works great :tsk:

Mike 325xi
03-04-2002, 04:39 PM
DAMN Alex (both Alex's) those cars look amazing!!! :thumb:

alee
03-04-2002, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Mike 325xi

That's it?? That's the whole kit?? It cost how much?? :yikes: I hope it really works great :tsk:
4 2oz vials, 1 tiny ZFX dropper bottle. $19.95. :mad: You're supposed to take your existing Z2 or Z5 wax, mix 2oz of it with 4-5 drops of ZFX.

Shake vigorously for 90 seconds, and it's good for 12 hours. It supposedly cures the Zaino immediately, vs. the 18-24 hours you typically wait for curing.

I hope it works really well too, because I'm not buying more unless it impresses the heck out of me. I'm not holding my breath.

Mike 325xi
03-04-2002, 05:23 PM

4 2oz vials, 1 tiny ZFX dropper bottle. $19.95. :mad: You're supposed to take your existing Z2 or Z5 wax, mix 2oz of it with 4-5 drops of ZFX.

Shake vigorously for 90 seconds, and it's good for 12 hours. It supposedly cures the Zaino immediately, vs. the 18-24 hours you typically wait for curing.

I hope it works really well too, because I'm not buying more unless it impresses the heck out of me. I'm not holding my breath.
OK...I didn't realize that you mixed it with your existing Z...I guess that would explain the empty bottles :rolleyes:

<$20 isn't too bad if it makes large batches while mixed with the other Z... I didn't realize that the cure time for Z was that long...that kind of kills a whole weekend doesn't it?
:dunno:

alee
03-04-2002, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Mike 325xi

OK...I didn't realize that you mixed it with your existing Z...I guess that would explain the empty bottles :rolleyes:
I think you could probably get 5 applications out of it. $4 an application seems like a rip.
<$20 isn't too bad if it makes large batches while mixed with the other Z... I didn't realize that the cure time for Z was that long...that kind of kills a whole weekend doesn't it?
:dunno:
All waxes typically have a cure time of about 24 hours. It only really matters if you do the layering like you do with Zaino. If you layer, you need to wait for each layer to cure.

We'll see how it goes... I'm still eyeing P21S. Seems like the holy grail.

Imola Ed
03-04-2002, 06:05 PM
I just ordered Z-FX the other day. Guess the box will be a little smaller than I thought!

I second the comment about both Alex's cars. Awesome shine!

:D :D

vexed
03-04-2002, 06:10 PM

I think you could probably get 5 applications out of it. $4 an application seems like a rip.

All waxes typically have a cure time of about 24 hours. It only really matters if you do the layering like you do with Zaino. If you layer, you need to wait for each layer to cure.

We'll see how it goes... I'm still eyeing P21S. Seems like the holy grail.

My screen must be messed up, Al renouncing the Z:yikes: :yikes:

Blitz works well IMO but I am about to order some P21S stuff from Car Care Online, wheel cleaner on sale this month, I am thinking of the P21S Paintwork Cleaner.:eek:

alee
03-04-2002, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by vexed
My screen must be messed up, Al renouncing the Z:yikes: :yikes:
I'm feeling betrayed... I expected a lot more. The other products come in huge bottles.
Blitz works well IMO but I am about to order some P21S stuff from Car Care Online, wheel cleaner on sale this month, I am thinking of the P21S Paintwork Cleaner.:eek:
I have extensive experience with their wheel cleaner... it's quite excellent. Their wax and paintwork cleaner are definitely on my list.

vexed
03-04-2002, 06:28 PM

I'm feeling betrayed... I expected a lot more. The other products come in huge bottles.

I have extensive experience with their wheel cleaner... it's quite excellent. Their wax and paintwork cleaner are definitely on my list.

I realize that I need something for those darn wheels:( The paintwork cleaner sounds good, any recommendations for a good shampoo?

alee
03-04-2002, 06:32 PM
I realize that I need something for those darn wheels:( The paintwork cleaner sounds good, any recommendations for a good shampoo?
I think P21S makes a decent car wash. I also hear good things about Sonax car wash.

vexed
03-04-2002, 06:38 PM

I think P21S makes a decent car wash. I also hear good things about Sonax car wash.

Sounds like Car Care On Line is going to get even more of my $$$:(

I am also thinking of the P21S towel, and the ones you bought from autosupermart.com, wait......help me I am becoming obsessed.:yikes:

Imola Ed
03-04-2002, 06:54 PM
I am also thinking of the P21S towel, and the ones you bought from autosupermart.com, wait......help me I am becoming obsessed.:yikes:

And so it begins... :tsk:

alee
03-04-2002, 06:58 PM
Spend an hour talking to me, and I bet I can get that shopping cart up to 1k. :D

The drying towel is very good. I keep one in the car, and one at home. Just be sure to follow the directions when you use it or the first time will be very messy.

vexed
03-04-2002, 07:04 PM

Spend an hour talking to me, and I bet I can get that shopping cart up to 1k. :D

The drying towel is very good. I keep one in the car, and one at home. Just be sure to follow the directions when you use it or the first time will be very messy.

I hate to think.:(

Two towels:thumb: Good idea, I already have the Water Blade which I need to master.:D

vexed
03-04-2002, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Imola Ed

And so it begins... :tsk:

It is my penance for thread hijacking.:eek: :eek:

alee
03-04-2002, 07:06 PM
It is my penance for thread hijacking.:eek: :eek:
Not much of a penance if you're rewarded with a shiny clean car in the end. :D

Imola Ed
03-04-2002, 07:08 PM

And think of all the arm strength you'll build up from polishing. :D

Wax on.
Wax off.

Dr. Phil
03-04-2002, 07:10 PM

I love my Sonax shampoo and the P21S towel is fantastic:thumb: I highly recommend both:) But as noted, I'm starting to dabble in Griot's. I think the Alee "you can never have enough detailing supplies" bug has bitten me:eeps:

Dr. Phil
03-04-2002, 07:12 PM

Al you are an enabler;) You'll take us all down eventually:yikes:

vexed
03-04-2002, 07:22 PM

Like this?

http://www.e46fanatics.com/members/vexed/waxed0002.jpg

vexed
03-04-2002, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Imola Ed

And think of all the arm strength you'll build up from polishing. :D

Wax on.
Wax off.

Hmmm..less time in the gym:thumb:

Dr. Phil
03-04-2002, 07:30 PM

Like this?

Looks great Vexed:thumb: Is that the pole that Al scales to peak into your window:dunno: If so you should Zaino it up so he slips off:rolleyes:

vexed
03-04-2002, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by PM 325xiT

Looks great Vexed:thumb: Is that the pole that Al scales to peak into your window:dunno: If so you should Zaino it up so he slips off:rolleyes:

Thanks....after Al told me he had tamed the neighbor's dog I decided to relocate.:(

GTI
03-04-2002, 08:10 PM
Al are you sure there are only about 25 drops worth of ZFX you got.
I was told there should be enough to treat 2 bottles(16oz) of Z2/5 which comes to about ~40 drops available........

There was a thread in Autopia talking which you might find interesting about using syringe for mixing ZFX:
http://www.autopia-carport.com/forum/showthread.php3?threadid=7684

alee
03-05-2002, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by GTI
Al are you sure there are only about 25 drops worth of ZFX you got.
I was told there should be enough to treat 2 bottles(16oz) of Z2/5 which comes to about ~40 drops available........

There was a thread in Autopia talking which you might find interesting about using syringe for mixing ZFX:
http://www.autopia-carport.com/forum/showthread.php3?threadid=7684
You know, I didn't really look too closely but it looks like a tiny bottle that won't go far. We'll see when I actually get to use it. I always end up using up my bottle of Z2/Z5 faster than Zaino says it will be gone in. I may be putting a little too much on though.

40 drops isn't so bad. It still looks like the ultimate ripoff kit. I smelled it the other day... something smells very familiar about it. I wonder if I could recreate Z-FX. I'm trying to get a friend up at Cornell to run a mass spec analysis on Z-FX. Just skeptical I guess. :)

bmw325
03-05-2002, 08:08 PM
You can't go wrong w/ p21s products. Across the board, they're all good-- towel, brake cleaner, wax, shampoo, etc...