PDA

View Full Version : seat issue

mlambert831
10-26-2008, 01:24 PM
'95 530i, both front seats only the left side of the seat will lean back,

two questions

a) is this supposed to be this way?
b) if so, is there a way to make it so both sides will go back? if not, how do I fix this?

supertech777
10-26-2008, 03:05 PM
hi there its easy go to http://bellsouthpwp.net/m/i/miales/seatcablesfix.htm this is the web site i used takes about an hour. good luck
Noel:thumbup:

Hranj
11-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Just a suggestion if you haven't done this already, but I highly recommend taking the seats out. Trust me, it'll be worth your trouble in the long run. I did my driver side one last weekend and was ready to just get a crowbar and pry the thing out. Took me an hour just to do the one.

EyeDoc1
11-01-2008, 01:26 PM
I agree with the last post on removing the seat. This whole process IS time consuming. The seats aren't featherweight, but can behandled by one man. There are instructions on the internet about removing the seat, and I'd get a set of use the Bently manual if you have one. Keep your battery connected, as it's the key to making the adjustments of the seat bottom fore and aft, and up/down. You'll probably need one special tool (socket) which is used to disconnect the seat from the floor pan. I got a set from Sears for 20 bucks...not Craftsman, but hey, price was right. It's a job, but hey, the experience was well worth it.

BTW, the twisted seatback is a very common problem with the E34's...some call it the "gansta look". Two motors--sheesh, but you do need to get them fixed and that cable repair does work. I'd consider that a somewhat short term solution, and I've heard the repair suggested isn't as permanent as suggested had you used all new parts. But hey, how often do you adjust the seat (for me, rarely). Mine now works fine, so take a Saturday morning, have a sturdy workbench present, and go for it. It'll take awhile.

bimmer dot info
11-03-2008, 07:37 AM
Autozone has the Torx sockets. They are Great Neck and come in a set for about $6. I have used mine to r&r the seats multiple times and to r&r my trans and a friends trans. They seem to be holding up just fine.
The seat twist repair is as permanent as the original cables (as long as the inner cables ends are good and it isnt rusting).

cpnwrench
11-06-2008, 03:47 AM
Man O' Man, am I glad somebody posted that one........

I got the situation with the driver seat (fortunately, passenger is fine).

Am gonna tackle it this weekend, sure made d$$ckn around with it on my own to figure a much easier proposition!!

Thanks gents!!

:smokin:

EyeDoc1
11-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Just make sure you take Bimmer Dot's suggestion on AutoZone's tools...the Torx socket set. Two other tips during removal.

1 Put the seat far forward.
2 Raise the seat as high as it goes.

Oh, and be careful removing the back seat panel. There is also a very small clip that holds the wire that controls the raising and lowering of the shoulder harness hooter mounted on the door jamb for the seat belt. It's on the left side rail of the drivers seat. Note how it goes on and off, and don't get frustrated and try to cut the wire. It's rewarding when you DIY.

Regards,

C.