PDA

View Full Version : Front end wobble.....

sniper_1
10-27-2008, 06:26 AM
Car 1992 525i.

Ok here goes nothing... My outer tie rod went bad on the drivers side. After replacing and lined back up she drove great. BUT!!! When it rains and the ground is wet I can feel a wobble inthe passenger side. Whenever I go over small bumps or even the places inthe road where they sealed cracks it feels like the wheel turns on its own. I am thinking the passenger side tie rod but last night after chacking it is tight.... Anyway any help would be great as the rain is returning.......

Thanks

CarDriver
10-27-2008, 08:22 AM
Car 1992 525i.

Ok here goes nothing... My outer tie rod went bad on the drivers side. After replacing and lined back up she drove great. BUT!!! When it rains and the ground is wet I can feel a wobble inthe passenger side. Whenever I go over small bumps or even the places inthe road where they sealed cracks it feels like the wheel turns on its own. I am thinking the passenger side tie rod but last night after chacking it is tight.... Anyway any help would be great as the rain is returning.......

Thanks

Except for the "When it rains" part, it sounds like a bad strut mount.

sniper_1
10-27-2008, 10:26 AM
I thought that too but it feels like the wheel is turning back and forth. And Like I said when it is dry no problems...Good in cornering and bumps and handles great....But when it is wet out... It feels like someone chenged front ends on me....But I did think about the strut mounts but wouldnt that be an up and down thing. And if not when does it feel like the pannenger wheel is about to come off

CarDriver
10-28-2008, 06:31 AM
How are your tires? The only thing that I can think of that would do that only in the rain are crappy tires. Even some of the ones that are alleged to be great can suck in the rain (Good Year Eagle GT). Are your front tires the same brand and model?

I had some good years on my Jetta and when I would have heavy rain when I drove through 1/2 to an inch of water it felt just like you described. Depending on what side of the road I was driving on is what wheel would do that but my tires were both the same so whatever wheel was closest to one or the other side of the road is the one that did it.

I got rid of the tires eventually and put Dunlops on it and never had that problem again.

Acschnitzer90
10-28-2008, 10:58 AM
i bet you your thrust arm bushing has no rubber in it anymore. is there any sound whe you drive it or try to stop

sniper_1
10-31-2008, 07:07 PM
I just replaced the thrust arms and I am working on the tie rods. The tired are a year old and are the same brand front and back. I did not have this problem until I replaced the drivers side tie rods.