PDA

View Full Version : Grommets under the cowl air intake

fraz06
10-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Hi guys, having a few issues with the front passenger footwell getting soaking wet everytime it rains and i've just noticed behind the glovebox is soaking wet aswell and i got told its the grommets under the cowl air intake, Does anybody know how to get to these grommets ? and what they look like? as im new to diy on e34's

Many Thanks

bimmer dot info
10-29-2008, 11:44 AM
Pull the glove box and dig around. You might be able to get to the grommets from there.

EyeDoc1
10-29-2008, 04:16 PM
I too have no idea about the grommets, but there have been a lot of recent posts about water leaks. The last posting about pulling the glove box was a good starting one, but since you're new to BMW's, how do one pull the glove box? I had this dilemma while figuring out how to change the cabin filter. Basically it's totally easy. Reach all the way in the back of the glove box (empty it first-duh) and you'll feel a piece of plastic about 1" long. It's a "flip" type switch. Pull down (I think it's down) and you'll hear or feel it snap. There are two. This releases the glove box from the back "rail". You'll also have to undo the two front strap hangers, but these are easy as well, as the clips usually just slide off the retaining post.

If you find the source of the leak, post it here. My '91 is probably not too far behind in the leak department.

Regards,

C.

attack eagle
10-29-2008, 11:16 PM
you can also take offthe top of the 'e box' on the passenger's side of the engine bay
http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Upgrade/Data/chip1.jpg

so you cna reach in there from the top too.