PDA

View Full Version : Advice on pricing please

sentryst
10-31-2008, 10:43 AM
Afternoon all,

I have 93 525i Auto. Transmission is kaput. Guy tells me the job is going to be 4500.00 but for a rebuilt tranny it will cost 2000.00 and take two weeks.

I'm new to car mechanics. I don't know of anyone that can recommend someone to work on my baby so I am taking a chance at this "bmw dealer tech" special.

I am in the MD/DC/VA area.

Do you think its a good deal?

I'd appreciate the feedback.

CarDriver
10-31-2008, 11:29 AM
If that includes labor, yes $2000 is a good deal for option 2. A "Rebuilt" Transmission goes for about $1200. Any rebuilt transmission comes with at least a one year warranty. If he says that there is a 90 day warranty then it is a "junkyard" tranny and not an actual rebuilt one.

sentryst
10-31-2008, 11:57 AM
Okay, I figured that was a good deal. Now about the timeframe (two weeks?) I'm going to be mass transing it for awhile if that's the case - which will all be worth it if it comes out good.

Thanks a bunch.

attack eagle
11-01-2008, 02:40 PM
I switched to a junkyard 5 speed driveline from a 525 sedan for $1200 (including new wear and tear parts-- actual parts were under $800). Cost for labor would have been $500.

never having to worry about the automatic going **** up at 3pm on halloween with a car full of trick or treaters? - priceless.
actually having the balls to get out of it's own way and finally beat with japanese economy cars off the light and up an onramp? -- more priceless.