PDA

View Full Version : e34 spark plug replacement

JayWalk
11-02-2008, 07:19 AM
I am trying to figure out if i can change my own plugs. Anyone have a step by step process for someone with modest skills?

RocknRoll
11-02-2008, 09:53 AM
This site always helps me.

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Maintenance/Gen_maintenance/Spark_plugs.htm

JayWalk
11-02-2008, 01:45 PM
Thanks...While the site made it sound simple it is not just removing wires and plugs...I will keep looking

bimmer dot info
11-03-2008, 07:41 AM
It is just about as simple as removing the plugs and wires.
Remove the cover. Disconnect the coils. Unbolt the coils and pull them out (try to get the boots to come along). Remove and replace the spark plugs. Replace everything else (dont mix up the coil connectors). Make sure you put the ground straps back on.

zumir
11-03-2008, 04:31 PM
I think I read the M50 doesn't even need gap adustment.

Max Gunner
11-03-2008, 05:27 PM
I had to remove the air box from my E34 to get the plugs out. The three closest to the radiator are easy; the other three progressively greater pains in the neck. Use a ratchet wrench with a 7/8" spark plug socket. Forget the one that came with your BMW tool kit (IMHO).

For this, and almost every other job, the Bentley manual gives a pretty good explaination.

MG

SeanC
11-03-2008, 08:09 PM
http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticles/E36-Spark-Plugs/E36-Spark-Plugs.htm

/thread.

TxAg98
11-04-2008, 12:20 AM
Very easy job.

JayWalk
11-09-2008, 09:24 PM
Done! Great feedback and very simple. The suggested sites with diagrams made it really simple. On to other things. Filters.

attack eagle
11-09-2008, 09:56 PM
I am trying to figure out if i can change my own plugs. Anyone have a step by step process for someone with modest skills?

remove cover.

unbolt coilpacks

remove connector.

lift out

using factory supplied tool remove spark plugs

reinstall coil pack reconnect move on to the next one.

it is seriously easy.

89-535
11-17-2008, 03:38 PM
I had to remove the air box from my E34 to get the plugs out. The three closest to the radiator are easy; the other three progressively greater pains in the neck. Use a ratchet wrench with a 7/8" spark plug socket. Forget the one that came with your BMW tool kit (IMHO).

For this, and almost every other job, the Bentley manual gives a pretty good explaination.

MG

Thank you! Everyone's talking about what an easy job this is but I need to go out and get a super short flexible joint for my wrench. I just bought an 89 535 M30. Love the car and I am learning about it. I have a Bentley manual which is fantastic but I tried to replace the plugs this weekend and I couldn't get in there. It sits very low on the engine and the masive air filter is in the way. I am not keen on removing that to do the job so I am going to try and do it without it.

Also I bought pregapped Bosh copper plugs. They say .7mm but I checked them and them seemed only about .5. Any suggestions? I gapped mine a bit further but I am worried about fuel economy. Also I have been reading on here about disconnecting the cables from the distributor. On other cars I have had I just took the cable of the plug one by one and replaced them so as not to confuse the wiring etc. Am I missing something here. I know this is a simple job but I have zero BMW experience and everything is easy once you've done it a few times.

Brian McKinney
11-17-2008, 06:18 PM
I have a set untouched OE plugs, will sell them for $30 plus shipping

bimmer dot info
11-18-2008, 06:43 AM
The 535i is not an M50 motor. It is not as easy.
Check the plug gap with a gauge and bend the electorde to reach the proper gap.
The way you have done plugs on other cars will work on this one. Dont over tighten the plugs in the holes (in this or any other car). If the wires are old it would be a good idea to replace them at the same time.
Working on a BMW is not totally different than working on other cars. Same baisc procedures (the BMW just deserves having the work done to the T).

zumir
11-21-2008, 07:06 PM
With y'all's help I'm happy to report I changed the plugs in my M50 and the car is still running. Does oil in the cylinders suggest I should try replacing the valve cover gasket? Is this also something I can not screw up too much?

bimmer dot info
11-24-2008, 08:33 AM
Oil in the plug wells means you should replace the valve cover gasket. It is not hard.

SeanC
11-24-2008, 11:25 AM
With y'all's help I'm happy to report I changed the plugs in my M50 and the car is still running. Does oil in the cylinders suggest I should try replacing the valve cover gasket? Is this also something I can not screw up too much?

Like this?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticles/E36-Spark-Plugs/pic14.jpg

Read the link I posted above.

Oil in the plug wells means you should replace the valve cover gasket. It is not hard.

How's that so? In its simplest case, the o-rings around the wells need to be changed. However, there might be more to it.

zumir
11-24-2008, 12:18 PM
Thanks, cng.... That link was very helpful the first time around with changing the plugs. I will revisit it. I couldn't press on with the valve cover gasket at the time. it was cold and windy out, and i have no garage, and the car's hood kept blowing down on top of my head. Something else to fix.

SeanC
11-24-2008, 12:36 PM
Thanks, cng.... That link was very helpful the first time around with changing the plugs. I will revisit it. I couldn't press on with the valve cover gasket at the time. it was cold and windy out, and i have no garage, and the car's hood kept blowing down on top of my head. Something else to fix.

You're welcome. There are really good DIYs on pelican web site, including a valve cover gasket one.. Good luck :thumbup: