PDA

View Full Version : Hitting governer a worry?

dopple
11-05-2008, 01:02 PM
I have hit the point where the governor kicks in right at the start of the redline in both 3rd and 1st gears from just being to aggresive. (1995 M3 Stock) On my 318ti I can pop halfway into the red with no problem.

I do not think there is any concern or worry about getting shutdown by the governor now and then is there?

Lanc3r
11-05-2008, 01:06 PM
I have hit the point where the governor kicks in right at the start of the redline in both 3rd and 1st gears from just being to aggresive. (1995 M3 Stock) On my 318ti I can pop halfway into the red with no problem.

I do not think there is any concern or worry about getting shutdown by the governor now and then is there?

Not something I worry about. Sometimes I just like the feeling of the rev limiter.

Dont really care for governors. Thats why I liked the SP E46s. :D

simon325e
11-10-2008, 05:28 PM
You mean fuel cutoff (rev-limiter), right? The governor limits top speed. I like the fuel cutoff since I often think my car has more revs than it does. The limiter keeps the engine safe. No issues hitting it all day long. Obviously some people would argue increased weat and tear :blah:

dopple
11-27-2008, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the get back. I am not up to speed on terms but the M3 shuts down. I suppose you are right that the gas gets cut, my bad. Take care, Kevin.

rrsperry
11-30-2008, 07:05 PM
It's actually ignition and spark that get cut. But no, it's not a problem.