PDA

View Full Version : Help with Clutch Please!!!

m62b_next
11-09-2008, 07:19 PM
Hello everyone,
(Sorry for the lengthy explanation)
I have an 1990 525i which has been a real good car until recently, which begin the process of "show me the money" syndrome.. Meaning, things are beginning to fall apart.
The car has over 300,000 miles, and over the years I have changed the necessary maintenance. I really like this particular model, and I am planning on restoring it.

I recently did the front end work (all the control arms, etc..), then the spark plug wires and plugs, front rotors, and few other minor stuff..

Few days back when I was about to go to work, when I pressed the clutch pedal, it went straight to the floor, and came back up very slowly.. I checked the reservoir, and it was low. I knew I had a small leak, but I kept putting it off, since I really didn't have the time to work on it.

I started the troubleshooting around the Slave Cylinder. I noticed there is fluid leaking from there. I wanted to bleed the line so I had someone pump the Clutch pedal; however, no fluid was coming out of the bleeder screw.

When I searched the net, there were advise about removing the Slave cylinder, and manually pushing the rod back in to get the air out. Of course everyone said not to push the clutch pedal, while the slave cylinder is out.

Unfortunately I did push the pedal, obviously not thinking, :tsk: and now the pedal goes all the way down, and it does not come back up, unless you pull it back up.

I replaced the slave cylinder, and the fluid, and the pedal is still not staying up.

So, my question is, what do I need to do to correct the problem. Do I need to remove the Master Cylinder and re-install it. I checked the master cylinder and I did not see anything leaking.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestion/links/guidance.
Please let me know if you have any questions or need any additional information.

Thanks for taking the time and helping out.

sstuner
11-10-2008, 04:47 PM
there is spring on the clutch pedal. check to make sure that it is in the right place, then losen off the bleeder screw and just let it drip for a bit, gravity bleeding

m62b_next
11-11-2008, 06:15 PM
I checked and spring appears to be in there correctly. I have ordered a new Master Cylinder and I am planning on installing it this coming weekend.

I have never removed one before, so I have run into a situation and I am trying to figure out how to resolve it.

I was able to remove the two bolts and the essentric screw. I removed one of the two hoses connected to the master cylinder. One hose slides off, the other one looks like it is attached to the line going to the slave cylinder. I am having real difficult time trying to remove it. Not sure if I need to access it from the engine bay or by the clutch pedal.

I guess I will try to search the net and find out.. my shop manual doesn't say how to disconnect the master cylinder from that line.

Oh, and just in case, for anyone interested, the following link has the online version for the shop manual.

http://www.bmwtechinfo.com/repair/main/Index_cd3.htm