PDA

View Full Version : Odometer light stays on??

v8mick
11-10-2008, 04:42 AM
Just got a "new" 1990 525 (m20) engine, in very good condition. Just noticed that the odometer is still lit and glowing on the dash--surely this aint right?? (This is after keys are removed and doors locked.) Any ideas?? Cheers

TxAg98
11-11-2008, 12:15 PM
Holy crap, I cant believe I found this thread. I had the EXACT same problem with my 91 525i that bought over here in Germany. Long story short, I believe the LCD module was bad in my cluster. I bought a new cluster, swapped them out, problem solved. Hope this helps.

Also, it WILL drain the battery. Killed mine in a weekend. Until I got the new cluster, I pulled the #20 fuse while I wasnt driving. Killed the power to the cluster, saving the batt.

One more thing, if you do the new cluster route. Make sure you pull your cluster out and see what color the backplate is. I believe on the E34 there are 3 different color plates, blue, white, and gray. Make sure you get matching ones so the plugs and such line up.

v8mick
11-13-2008, 01:02 PM
Holy crap, I cant believe I found this thread. I had the EXACT same problem with my 91 525i that bought over here in Germany. Long story short, I believe the LCD module was bad in my cluster. I bought a new cluster, swapped them out, problem solved. Hope this helps.

Also, it WILL drain the battery. Killed mine in a weekend. Until I got the new cluster, I pulled the #20 fuse while I wasnt driving. Killed the power to the cluster, saving the batt.

One more thing, if you do the new cluster route. Make sure you pull your cluster out and see what color the backplate is. I believe on the E34 there are 3 different color plates, blue, white, and gray. Make sure you get matching ones so the plugs and such line up.

Thanks for that--as yet the battery is fine and she starts even after sitting a couple of days, is changing the cluster a big job? Cos if it is, it will probably get left until i have more time.
Thanks agen ,Mick

EyeDoc1
11-13-2008, 03:32 PM
I found removal of the cluster on my 525i, 1991 fairly easy. It was just the FEAR OF GOD that somehow I'd wind up firing the airbag inadvertently that made me uneasy. If you follow the diagrams on the E34net website about removing the cluster for doing capacitor exchange, it's really not as daunting at it appears. There is or are minor differences with airbag equipped vehicles and those with adjustable steering columns, but in the main, removing the cluster isn't that complicated. Took me about an hours to get it out, with frequent references to diagrams presented on the computer. One tip...when disconnecting the airbag, pull the connector wire straight up...meaning if the airbag is lying flat, on a table, (horizontal), you pull vertical (up)...piece of cake (at least on my 91 525i).

Hope this helps

attack eagle
11-13-2008, 05:59 PM
take the front panel underthe dash off, drop the column. then you don;t have to disco the airbag and wheel.

TxAg98
11-14-2008, 04:50 AM
Mine came out really easy. I extended the wheel all the way out and lined it up straight. Pulled out the cluster, disconnected plugs, then turned the wheel to the left 1/4 turn and the cluster slid out.

v8mick
11-15-2008, 06:35 AM
Thanx for that--unfortunately went to the car this morning--drivers door wont open, can get in passenger side--electric windows dont work!! So ive openened a dispute with guy we bought it off (ebay!!) who described it as "genuine car". It wasnt expensive and is good on body and engine sounds strong--but, if theres one thing i hate-- its electrical probs!!! I can sort mechanical stuff but im no good with electrics.

We,ll see if the threat of negative feedback has a positive effect on the seller.!!!:thumbup:

EyeDoc1
11-15-2008, 11:25 AM
you've got the dead battery issue that the second posting alluded to.... Check around on this site for the emergency procedure for opening your electric door with a dead battery. You go in thru the passenger side. Kinds of an arcane procedure, but it does work.

C.

EyeDoc1
11-15-2008, 01:30 PM
you've got the dead battery issue that the second posting alluded to.... Check around on this site for the emergency procedure for opening your power door with a dead battery. You go in thru the passenger side. Has to do with turning the key beyond the standard position and lifting the handle simultaneously (can't remembe exactly). Kind of an arcane procedure, but it does work.

C.

v8mick
11-15-2008, 05:31 PM
you've got the dead battery issue that the second posting alluded to.... Check around on this site for the emergency procedure for opening your power door with a dead battery. You go in thru the passenger side. Has to do with turning the key beyond the standard position and lifting the handle simultaneously (can't remembe exactly). Kind of an arcane procedure, but it does work.

C.

Thanks guys--tried the entry thing but no go. Must be a bad earth somewhere and the seller isnt responding!! Looks like bad feedback for him and a 100 bill for me!!

EyeDoc1
11-15-2008, 07:34 PM
This has worked for me, so consult this website. It's a good one.

Regards,

C.

http://www.bmwe34.net/Wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Locked+doors

v8mick
11-17-2008, 10:18 AM
Thanks again, just got car back from auto elects and it turns out that its the ecu that controls central locking thats gone.