PDA

View Full Version : right front speakers

puertoangel
11-11-2008, 01:15 PM
Hi, i have a problem with my front right speakers, they use to work but now they dont, i have searched the forum and have cleaned the radio volume control button and checked all connections' head unit to amp but i still get no sound?. I have also swapped speakers with the left working one and still no sound, hears the part that has me puzzled, if i flick the speaker with my finger all 3 speakers come on for a split second, short in the wiring? amp?
1992 535i e34
Stock stereo.
Thanks.

Viktor
11-11-2008, 06:13 PM
process of elimination starting with the cheapest solution: try a new wire.. is it both front speakers or just the one on the bottom of the door?

puertoangel
11-11-2008, 09:00 PM
it is all 3 front right speakers, where would i run a seperate speaker wire to, from the amp?

Viktor
11-11-2008, 09:24 PM
Damn... try from the radio first.

puertoangel
11-11-2008, 09:57 PM
DAMN... take it easy!

Viktor
11-11-2008, 11:25 PM
hey, im not an expert at this, just trying to lend a hand. I find it VERY strange all 3 on the right would go out... maybe try the panning (balance) on the radio options and see what happens

puertoangel
11-12-2008, 08:50 AM
I have tryed the fader & balance, this is really strange to me too. I think the front speakers are wired sepperatly. I know the factory head unit outputs a low level signal to the amp this is why i said should i start at the amp? and second i dont think the head unit can drive the speakers by itself? I think it is the amp as all 3 speakers dont work. I will try the seperate speaker wire but i have a feeling it is something to do with the x-over in the amp.
Wiring is not a strong point of mine,
Thanks.

bimmer dot info
11-12-2008, 10:06 AM
The radio sends one signal to the amp for each channel (LF RF LR RR). The amp sends seperate signals to each speaker. I'd start looking at the connections between the radio and amp.

dhcomp
12-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Pull the grills, and swap the drivers and passenger side speakers. Easiest way to check the speaker drivers/vs the wiring.

Replace parts as necessary. My passenger side dash speaker was dead, cost me $8 on ebay to replace.

johnmeyer
07-18-2009, 05:31 PM
I had exactly the same problem (no sound from any of the front right speakers). I just fixed it. In my case, it was a manufacturing flaw in the amplifier in the trunk.

What I found is that the 2200 uF capacitor for the front right channel (there are four of these, one for each channel) has a sharp edge at the bottom of the can. This edge rests directly on top of a circuit trace that goes under the can and then connects to the + side of the capacitor. Over time (mine is a 1992 525i), the vibration in the car caused this can to cut clean through this trace. I re-mounted the capacitor 1/16" higher, and then soldered a jumper wire across the trace. Everything now works great.

The front right channel power transistor is the one on the far right as you look at the circuit board from the under-side, with the heat sink facing toward you.

MeanM50
07-19-2009, 07:54 AM
I have every component from an E34 stereo. All in good working order. If you need a part, let me know. You are pretty close, so shipping wouldn't even be much. I have a 92 and 89 deck, a 92 and 89 amp, a 92 changer, and most the speakers from a 92..(minus the top of dash fronts)

johnmeyer
07-19-2009, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the offer. The only thing not working is the cassette deck. It needs new rubber parts, but the screws that hold it together have seized and I can't disassemble it. The only reason I want the cassette at this point is to provide an input for the iPod using a cassette adapter instead of using an FM transmitter. I've looked at ways to hack into the circuit to provide a line level input in place of the cassette, but couldn't find an obvious place to get into it.

So, since the amp now works perfectly, and the CD changer in the trunk work, I can live with it as is. BTW, my 1992 (I have a 1990 as well) looks just like yours, except the paint on mine is totally shot (bought it used on eBay seven years ago, and it had not been cared for very well).

MeanM50
07-19-2009, 09:08 AM
Search with google....I found a hack years ago.....you can take your tape deck apart and solder some wires on the azimuth and it works as a input for iPods...and just drill the screws out. There are also adapters that plug into your changer port to use that as an input as well.

As for the calypso paint....FAIL. Such a pretty color, but such crappy paint. Mine looks ok because the sides are still shiny...the hood, roof and trunk lid are all faded/crap. I think I am just going to paint from the body line by the door handles up, flat black.