PDA

View Full Version : Need your input

mlambert831
11-11-2008, 07:44 PM
really tight on money so I can't just take this to get looked at.

Firstly, my cigg lighter stopped working after a screwdriver was shoved in it (sigh.. 2 year old nephew), it sparked and no longer works, tried changing the fuse, nothing

also, my AC does not work. It occasionally kicks in if I hit a bump, but makes a loud nose. It blows stronger if I turn my steering wheel, and when its not functioning, if I go fast enough, I can feel a small cold draft. Clearly it's a fan issue but I'm not sure how complex.. any ideas?

Third, the front passenger seat headrest is currently stuck up. Motor makes a noise when I hold the button, but no movement is made

Fourth, I'm just not too sure where to look, I have a fog light out, figure if I'm going to replace one, I might as well replace both, but I would like a white look instead of the old yellowish look, where would I go about buying a bulb to satisfy that desire?

Fifth, Engine has recently started to make a high pitched (changes in pitch..) sort of squeel, it goes up and down and is very loud from the front of the engine bay, not too noticable from the drivers seat unless I listen for it, I think it may be in relation to the AC? I'm going to go check here in a minute if it makes the sound with the fan all the way off

Finally, there's a shudder at highway speeds, not too strong, but could it possibly be in relation to the accident I was in? I was hit in the rear passenger side of the car, think it may of bent my axle as well, considering now my steering wheel seems to be somewhat tilted to the right when going straight a lot of the time.

bimmer dot info
11-12-2008, 10:03 AM
when you put a new fuse in does it blow?

does the blower fan work properly?

Search for seat cable twist fix. It will get your headrest sorted out.

The fog light bulb is either H1 or 9006 (i think). Reach up behind the fog light and you should be able to reach the bulb.

Could be a loose or worn belt or a faulty bearing.

The shudder could be bad thrust arm bushings.

mlambert831
11-16-2008, 10:05 AM
new fuse doesnt help at all, fan blower doesnt work properly, if I hit a bump it'll kick on but make a loud low pitched noise,

bimmer dot info
11-17-2008, 06:43 AM
Replace the cig lighter and the blower fan.

mlambert831
11-17-2008, 05:56 PM
its not just the little piece that doesnt work, its the entire unit, car chargers dont work in it, gps doesnt work, etc

how much would a blower fan run me? should I replace the fan belt with it? it definately sounds like somethings wrong with the fan belt

and how much would replacing the cig lighter UNIT (entire center piece) cost?

bimmer dot info
11-18-2008, 06:37 AM
Test for power to the lighter socket. If you get power to the wiring you need a new socket. If you do not get power you need to test further back on the circuit. If you get power at the fuse you need to check the wiring between the fuse and the socket. If not, check for other blown fuses and then check the wiring back to the battery.
Realoem lists the socket for appx $10 or $23
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE23&mospid=47406&btnr=61_0750&hg=61&fg=35

The blower fan does not have a belt. It is a cage type blower in the cowl.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE23&mospid=47406&btnr=64_0122&hg=64&fg=40

mlambert831
11-19-2008, 02:08 PM
aight I'll do the tests on the lighter socket when I get home,

I figured the blower fan had some form of a belt, as I hear from the front of the engine bay some sort of whine that sounds much like a belt, it's not always there, and it sort of,.. pulses,.. slower when the speed on the blower is adjusted down, and faster obviously when it's in the 4th position

another question, is there a backlight for the "P R N D 4 3 2" part of the center console? When I bought the car, it didn't light up, so I just assumed it wasn't mean to, no point in ripping the console apart just to find out there's no bulb to replace.

bimmer dot info
11-20-2008, 06:30 AM
The blower fan can make some interesting noises when the bearings start to fail. There is a chance that it is your problem.

The PRND surround with lights is fairly easy to distinguish. Take a close look and if you can not see where the light comes through there never was one.