PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Cluster Issues...

EyeDoc1
11-13-2008, 11:00 AM
I recently removed the cluster per the various website "show and tell" illustrations and it went smoothly. I replaced the burned out bulbs and I think everything lit up. So yesterday I decided to experiment with the shifter and noticed that the little, what I'd call LCD or dot matrix panel that says "E" and "P-R-N-3-2-1" wasn't lit at all. Lord. Obviously back to the drawing board again. What I don't know is if it is a bulb that burn out or something else, such as some module that will need to be replaced. Any thoughts or help?

Regards,

Christen

taws34
11-13-2008, 09:39 PM
That's an LCD thing, I believe. Pull it back apart, check and clean the contacts with an eraser if you can. Give that a shot. :dunno:

Hope it works out!

Cali Love (e34)
11-15-2008, 10:29 AM
somewhere on this forum i read to give the top of your cluster a good tap... i had the exact same problem and it worked...

EyeDoc1
11-15-2008, 07:39 PM
Ya know, I hit a horrendous bump in Portland yesterday, and viola, it came to life. Thanks for the whack job and saving me from tearing it down...again.

Regards,

Christen

attack eagle
11-16-2008, 05:09 PM
that means the bulb is blown, and the whack made the filaments touch and fix themselves again. go ahead and get a new one because it will go out again soon

EyeDoc1
11-17-2008, 11:38 AM
Will be looking at getting a spare instrument cluster, as I like to fix the economy gauge which hasn't worked since 1993. Wondering if just swapping out the tach module (w/economy gauge cluster) would make it magically work).

Regards,

C.