PDA

View Full Version : Battery for 92 touring

CarDriver
11-14-2008, 08:48 AM
I recently replace the battery in my Touring (it Died). $140 bucks :yikes:. I got it from auto zone. The battery was not listed as being for my car (they had no listing for my car) but the specs were the same and it was the exact size a shape of the battery that came out of my car.

I recently went on line to look up the battery for my car (for price comparison) and could not find one. I wander what the dealer charges for one?

In any case, I have Driven and accelerated the car hard since then and have not gotten the dreaded "Trans Program" again. :):):)

googone20
11-14-2008, 09:59 AM
I have a 1990 525i right now. Had to get my battery from the dealer and they charged $180 for a new one. These things are pretty hard to find. Nobody really stocks them.

CarDriver
11-14-2008, 12:00 PM
Thats what I thought. If it was for my 90 sedan I could have gotten it about fifty bucks cheaper because it would have been under the hood were you have more flexibility with the physical size of the Battery. In that case the only thing I would heve needed to match would be the amps. :flush:

attack eagle
11-14-2008, 01:23 PM
49DL is the standard replacement from autozone...

was $70, think it is about $100 now

mtp 93 from interstate is another good one.

but yes, low voltage caused by a failing battery will cause trans program errors.

EyeDoc1
11-14-2008, 04:21 PM
The MTP 91 from Interstate fits the 525i, 1991. I use Interstate because that small company usually has the most arcane battery styles for just about any vehicle and they supply me with UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply-computers) batteries as well. Look in the phone book for Interstate under "Batteries-Wholesale". They deal with me all the time and I ain't no big hitter. They usually don't have retail sales offices, but they never turned me away, and even gave me a price break when I opened an account with them. Nice people. I paid $79.23 plus tax in 2005. They got my business for all the cars I drive!

Regards,

Christen

Tourburgring
11-19-2008, 10:05 AM
I used to own a '92 Touring (just bought a '93 but haven't picked it up yet) and I remember that in addition to the main battery under the rear seat, it also had an auxilliary battery, about the size of a motorcycle battery, behind the passenger side rear cover in the cargo area. Nobody then could tell me what it was for although it was suspected it had something to do with the factory Cell-phone installation. Anybody else come across this?

attack eagle
11-19-2008, 12:06 PM
Yes I have read the same, that cars with the cell phone were on occasion optioned with an aux battery. more prevalent in the 7 series.