PDA

View Full Version : My indoctrination

Plaz
03-05-2002, 03:30 PM
I've done it. Just ordered the following:

P21S Car Care Set (car wash, paint cleaner, wheel cleaner, carnauba)
Wash Mitt
Original California Water Blade
(2) P21S Drying Towels
(4) Applicator Pads
(4) Microfiber Buffing Towel
Professional Auto Glass Cleaner ("sprayaway")
Body, Fender & Wheel Brush
3M Rubber Treatment & Tire Dressing
(2) Perfect Gloss Tire Swipes
Meguiars #34 Final Inspection
Original California Car Duster & Dash Duster Kit

Other than a couple of buckets and some paper towels (for glass cleaner removal), is there anything else I should need for my first full-on detail? I'm thinking the leather and vinyl on the interior can get a pass this time... a dusting and vacuuming should be all I need on the interior, until the next full-on detail 6 months from now or so.

Will there be any problem with using a P21S towel to remove the Final Inspection spray, as well as water, without washing it (the towel) in between?

I think this first full-on detail will be the weekend before Bimmerfest. :thumb:

alee
03-05-2002, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Plaz 330i
Will there be any problem with using a P21S towel to remove the Final Inspection spray, as well as water, without washing it (the towel) in between?
Don't do it! The P21S towel is for water only. You will regret it if you try using the P21S towel for detail spray.

Stick with cotton towels for the final inspection spray and you'll great great results! :thumb:

Plaz
03-05-2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by alee

Don't do it! The P21S towel is for water only. You will regret it if you try using the P21S towel for detail spray.

Stick with cotton towels for the final inspection spray and you'll great great results! :thumb:

Thanks for the quick reply!

I didn't even order any cotton towels... hmmm... how bout if I use a clean microfiber buffing towel?

alee
03-05-2002, 03:49 PM

Thanks for the quick reply!

I didn't even order any cotton towels... hmmm... how bout if I use a clean microfiber buffing towel?
Microfiber should be fine, although the purist would say get at least 1 or 2 cotton towels. :D

You know what works great is a 100% cotton undershirt. Looks silly using it, but they are generous in size, soft, and absorbant.

Mr. The Edge
03-05-2002, 03:51 PM

You know what works great is a 100% cotton undershirt. Looks silly using it, but they are generous in size, soft, and absorbant.

That's the first time I've seen someone suggest the T-Shirt thing, which is funny because that's what I've been using. They are perfect for Z6!

Plaz
03-05-2002, 03:59 PM
Perfect. I have several old undershirts my expanding gut have rendered otherwise useless. :( :thumb:

Guest84
03-05-2002, 04:01 PM
The problem with T-Shirts or "cheap towels" that say "100% cotton" is that they can still contain synthetic fiber thread for the border stitching...your taking a risk...better to get either quality towels or Towelettes (I love Griots 100% cotton towels, perfect size, but spendy, I think $15 for 10 of em)

List looks good, the only thing I'd add to it is some fine hand polish and clay, not sure what type of condition your finish is in after a dealer prep, but claybar and fine hand polish will remove all the swirls if any...you'll definately need these two items a year from now, but you can probably get by without them for now.

Guest84
03-05-2002, 04:03 PM
If you use your T-Shirts, make sure the label says "100% cotton" and then cut it up, removing the border stitching and cut them into 12" x 10" towelettes, thats the perfect size so you can fold them in 1/4, without having something hanging down collecting dirt when you do the lower doors and bumpers.

Plaz
03-05-2002, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Ripsnort
The problem with T-Shirts or "cheap towels" that say "100% cotton" is that they can still contain synthetic fiber thread for the border stitching...your taking a risk...better to get either quality towels or Towelettes (I love Griots 100% cotton towels, perfect size, but spendy, I think $15 for 10 of em)

List looks good, the only thing I'd add to it is some fine hand polish and clay, not sure what type of condition your finish is in after a dealer prep, but claybar and fine hand polish will remove all the swirls if any...you'll definately need these two items a year from now, but you can probably get by without them for now.

I'll do the flame test on the t-shirts... orange flame only = OK?

I'm hesitant to do the clay thing... I guess I got spooked by the carcareonline essay. But I did get some hand polish (P21S paintwork cleaner) in the kit. I'm hoping that will be good enough to remove the very few fine swirls I have already.

The swirls, BTW, were not from the Cutter detail job, which was excellent... they're from the two or three hand washes I've paid for since then. Sigh. I think the crusade against swirls will always be an uphill battle as long as I have to get washes from hand wash/touchless places. Especially with Orient Blue.

I can only borrow a friend's driveway once every few months for detail jobs -- the interim washes must be from car wash places, as I live in a condo whose HOA rules forbid car washing in the underground garage. :(

Guest84
03-05-2002, 04:31 PM
Plaz, just make sure the thread doesn't "shrivel" up, thats a sign of synthetic thread.

Some claybars (cheaper stuff) could harm your finish, especially if you don't keep it lubricated, but I've had great success with the better claybars (the Griots product is what I used) It removed all the little "bumps" and tar spots down low on the finish, just be sure to use plenty of lube,( water or detail spray.) Shouldn't really need it for a new finish, but I did it out of spite.

Good luck!

alee
03-05-2002, 04:31 PM
... as I live in a condo whose HOA rules forbid car washing in the underground garage. :(
I gave my condo board the finger. :D

Of course, I've given my last 3 condo boards the finger, and ended up in court with 2 of them (I won), so I'm not exactly cut out for rules and regulations. :D

This condo has been really good to me though, and they actually don't mind anymore... they saw me washing my car in the snow in early January and decided I was probably best left alone.

Guest84
03-05-2002, 04:45 PM

I gave my condo board the finger. :D

Snip

they saw me washing my car in the snow in early January and decided I was probably best left alone.

LOL, I can imagine that scenario ..."Bill, don't mess with him, not many guys wear a scuba suit with jellyfish cartilage glued to the hood and Zaino painted on his face like war paint."

Dr. Phil
03-05-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Ripsnort

LOL, I can imagine that scenario ..."Bill, don't mess with him, not many guys wear a scuba suit with jellyfish cartilage glued to the hood and Zaino painted on his face like war paint."
Ah so you've seen our boy Al in action:confused: With his behavior I'm surprised they haven't called in some of the social services offered by the Welfare Dept:dunno:

alanra
03-05-2002, 11:32 PM
pretty comprehensive... where did you end up ordering from?