PDA

View Full Version : Gotta Love Transmissions...

DryBones
11-16-2008, 08:43 PM
Well My transmission has been acting up and been putting off the fix. but now its time for the rebuild. Its a 1992 525i Touring about 126xxx miles, its slipping bad, such as strait away get on it rev up 5k then catch after it drops down to 2k or so. when i stop it dis-engauges then clunks back.
So where would be a good place to get a Rebuild kit? i googled but i am google challeneged. Also any special tools i would need, or is it just better to have the Stealership do it?

Thanks ALOT!

bimmer dot info
11-17-2008, 06:52 AM
You need special tools (they are expensive) and a manual. I've been unable to find a rebuild kit myself. There is also a good chance that your trans has allready been damaged beyond what a rebuild kit can fix. I'd find a good indy shop to do the repair.

DryBones
11-17-2008, 07:50 PM
Thanks will find one anybody on here from around PNW?

attack eagle
11-18-2008, 12:04 AM
I'd drop a 5 speed in it and not dick around with the failure prone Gm france anymore. (oh wait, that is exactly what I did :))
Costs about the same as the most economical/reliable rebuild IMO if you source good junkyard parts or a parts car.

there are kits out there since the same 4l30e tranny was used in the "caddy that zigs" and the isuzu rodeo.
Check IPT.
$600 for the rebuild kit, and $89 for the translab kit.
About what i paid for the entire drivetrain from a 92 525, before replacing all wear and tear items.

but first, check the fluid level hot with the car evenly lifted on level ground, while running. might just be low.

DryBones
11-19-2008, 08:57 PM
Yea? how much would that cost and how long would my car be down to drop a 5 speed in it cause that would be sick!
i know the transmission would have to be replaced, the shifter area, how about linkage, or the cluster, OBC?
Thanks

i am trying to find the scanner for that one page attackeagle in performance bmw from like 8 months ago

attack eagle
11-19-2008, 09:13 PM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b106/AttackEagle/attackeaglescan.jpg

DryBones
11-19-2008, 09:21 PM
yup thats the one i found the 4 threads about the swap and reading yours now.

attack eagle
11-19-2008, 10:55 PM
if you have any questions, feel free to ask.