PDA

View Full Version : e34 535i advice

priceman14
11-20-2008, 01:52 PM
hello everyone, im new to the forum, but i've been browsing around here for a few weeks

here's my dilema. a friend of my father got an e34 535i (1989 model i think) as colateral for a loan to a co-worker, who was later fired, so he's stuck witht he car. the car has been sitting beside his house, undrivable, for a long time, because vandals smashed the windsheild. :mad: i'll be getting my license soon, and i REALLY like the e34. however, it has some issues from sitting around so long.

1.when we tried to test drive the car, the right-front wheel would not turn, because of a siezed caliper? or something else?:dunno:

2. the excuse my father keeps using to not get me the car is that he thinks that a car with 156000 miles on it is not reliable, and he thinks the metal brake lines (which connect to the rubber lines, which connect to the calipers) are rusted and about to fail.
HAS ANYONE WITH A HIGH MILEAGE E34 HAD THIS PROBLEM?

the engine runs flawlessly so i kno thats not an issue

i really love this car and if i dont get it ill be stuck with my dad's hand-me-down truck (he owns a corvette AND a firebird:tsk:)

thanks evry1

(i appologize for the lengthyness of this post)

priceman14
11-20-2008, 02:17 PM
sorry in my hast i 4got to provide u all with some pictures of the car, they were taken in May of this year (i havn't seen the car since then)

you'll notice a few things in these pics, the car appears to have been in a minor fender bender that broke the left turn signal and dented the hood a little (it still opens fine)

also, the exhaust piping in front of the muffler has rusted away, reducing the muffler to decoration, its being held on by the hangers i think

the third pic is the ALPINA hood emblem on the car, do u thind its real or fake? (i think fake)

http://s477.photobucket.com/albums/rr135/priceman14/?action=view&current=bimmer.jpg

http://s477.photobucket.com/albums/rr135/priceman14/?action=view&current=bmwe34.jpg

http://s477.photobucket.com/albums/rr135/priceman14/?action=view&current=ALPINA.jpg

CloudNine
11-20-2008, 02:22 PM
These issues can be overcome. Your caliper is seized, or the pad is frozen to the rotor. Take the wheel off of the car and try to pry the rotor back. A good two pound hammer and a crowbar should free the pad. You will then spray the outside perimeter of the caliper piston with spray rust penetrant in order to free up the caliper. Use the crowbar to pry the caliper piston. If this doesn't help, a new caliper is not too expensive.

The brake lines should be okay. They all look bad. If it rusts through and fails, you should get advance warning from the seepage or fluid loss at the reservoir. Be sure to inspect all lines and the brake cylinder carefully for seepage.

It sounds like the main expense will be the windshield. Also, if your dad doesn't have clear title. Good luck!

priceman14
11-20-2008, 03:04 PM
thanks alot man,

about the windshield, i kno i need to get one from a parts car sinc the old one is completely destroyed, but do places like Bavarian Auto Recycling inc do windshields?

also, will i need anything else besides the replacement windshield to do the job right?

CarDriver
11-21-2008, 07:42 AM
I have two. A 92 Touring and a 90 sedan. They have 190 and 230 thousand miles respectivly. The car you have is good for another 150 K if maintained well. Mine run great and are verry reliable. As for the windshield, Look online or in the Phone book for winshield repair. They will replace your winshield on site for under 250 (Shop around). and if it leaks, it will have a warranty so they will fix it.

ross1
11-21-2008, 12:50 PM
A stuck caliper is no big deal. An inspection of the brakelines is simple enough and repairs if needed are dirt cheap if you do it yourself.
156k on one of these is nothing, they get a little tired at twice that mileage.

ross1
11-21-2008, 12:54 PM
thanks alot man,

about the windshield, i kno i need to get one from a parts car sinc the old one is completely destroyed, but do places like Bavarian Auto Recycling inc do windshields?

also, will i need anything else besides the replacement windshield to do the job right?

Lots of threads about windshields. An aftermarket glass with the original moldings would probably suit your purposes fine. OE is expen$ive. Be VERY careful of used glass, the slightest chip on the edge from removal could grow into a full length crack the first time you hit a bump.

priceman14
11-21-2008, 02:34 PM
Lots of threads about windshields. An aftermarket glass with the original moldings would probably suit your purposes fine. OE is expen$ive. Be VERY careful of used glass, the slightest chip on the edge from removal could grow into a full length crack the first time you hit a bump.

your right i nevr thot of that, thanks alot guys i appreciate all your input, this will help alot

priceman14
11-21-2008, 02:44 PM
sorry i messed up last time with the pictures i hope itl work this time i put them in an attatchment

supertech777
11-21-2008, 03:32 PM
hey thats not a bad looking e-34 but on the other hand there is no such thing as a bad looking e-34 congrats ......and welcome :thumbup:

priceman14
11-21-2008, 04:01 PM
hey thats not a bad looking e-34 but on the other hand there is no such thing as a bad looking e-34 congrats ......and welcome :thumbup:

well technically its not mine yet... but with the input of this VERY SUPPORTIVE community i may very well be calling this my own someday

AND YES THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A BAD LOOKIN E34!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup::)