View Full Version : ideas on wheel wax/protectant?

03-06-2002, 06:46 AM
i've tried lots of things, including the "whee wax" sold by tirerack.

just thought i would see what everyone else has tried with success

wheels i could care less about shine, but i'm looking for durability: heat, plus brake dust are evil to the finish.

so....i'm thinking something polymer based then?

03-06-2002, 08:15 AM
I'd go with polymer for both finish and wheels if:
A) your car sits outside (not garaged)
B) you have a full extreme 4 seasons (Lots of snow in the winter time)

Polymers are suppose to last longer (and my tests show they do). I still prefer carnauba's though because I don't mind throwing another coat of wax on after 3 months, and you can apply another coat within a few hours after the first.

I waxed my wheels in Oct with a carnauba-based wax and by dec. the wax was basically gone.

03-06-2002, 08:17 AM
so, what are you using on your wheels, then?

03-06-2002, 08:23 AM
Nothing at the moment. This spring I'll put some Zymol I have left over on them.

03-06-2002, 08:29 AM

so your zymol is relegated to wheels now because other stuff is better for the paint, huh?

Dr. Phil
03-06-2002, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by blackdawg
so, what are you using on your wheels, then?

I've had some good luck with Blitz. It has really help with the cleaning time for brake dust etc.:thumb:

03-06-2002, 12:05 PM
I use Zaino Z2 on my wheels.

But I use the Rain-X wheel protectant after a wash. Just spray it on and let it dry. It coats the wheel until the next wash. Makes it even easier to clean.
Too bad I learn about this product late and they already discontinued it. I managed to grab the last bottle from Kmart 2 months ago.
It was like $5.99 each for a 16oz. spray bottle.
If you have spare and willing to part with let me know.

03-06-2002, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by blackdawg

so your zymol is relegated to wheels now because other stuff is better for the paint, huh?

Hehe, well lets just say I prefer the results of P21S Carnauba on my paint finish to that of Zymol. :)

03-06-2002, 12:41 PM
i really like the p21S, too.

zymol is so darn user-unfriendly.

03-07-2002, 12:36 PM
I use 3M Perfect-It Show Car Paste Wax. It is Acrylic Silicone Fluoropolymer and lasts a long time. It is a great wax for wheels and does not cost a fortune.. check it out here: LINK (http://www.properautocare.com/pershowcarpa.html) :thumb:

03-07-2002, 12:41 PM
i got that stuff.

okay, i'll try that stuff.

i like it. i completely forgot i have that stuff since i've been using p21s.

03-07-2002, 04:32 PM
I use meguiars gold class wax on my wheels. I really like the finish it leaves so everytime i clean them, i clean them with that and then just buff it off. No problems and it looks great. The brake dust practically falls off.