PDA

View Full Version : Play in steering components 540i

mikes95540i
11-23-2008, 07:31 AM
My local dealer tells me that my 95 540i has some slight play in the steering system. I had ask for some detail as to what parts in particular would need to be replaced. Their answer was that they would need to do a complete disassembly to know that. One would think a dealership would have an idea what parts would need to be replaced in an average job of this nature.

I just bought this car a few months ago with 85K miles on it. I want to upgrade to more performance orientated equipment as I go through the car. Could anyone help me with what parts I should upgrade, ie: urethane bushings, sway bar kits, struts, lowering springs, strut braces, etc. I will have my trust worthy shop do the work but I would like to provide them with what ever performance parts mite be needed.

Thanks for your assistance.

yaofeng
11-23-2008, 10:06 AM
Check the tie rod and ball joint first.

bimmer dot info
11-24-2008, 09:36 AM
Also check the nut on the column near the firewall (in the psgr compartment) and the adjustment of the box. Either one can cause sloppy steering.

mikes95540i
11-30-2008, 09:10 AM
Thanks guys! I'll check these things and hope it's not something else that will cost way too much.
I know that I need to replace many of the bushings, may just do them all and get it over with. I am having trouble deciding if I should replace the stock rubber bushings with heavy-duty rubber, or urethane bushings. (I'm looking at the Bavarian Autosport catalog).

If any of you would care to share your experiences with the ride changes the urethane will make I would appreciate it. I want the steering tight and crisp as well as the ride, but I don't want it so stiff that stuff falls out of the dash.