PDA

View Full Version : #@$@ BMW Website!

jastevenson
12-26-2001, 05:05 PM
BMWs website is pretty and all but the thing is broken half the time. I have all the latest software (MSIE 6.0, etc) too. Anyone else have probems with the site?

SteveT
12-26-2001, 05:09 PM
It was slow just a few minutes ago, but it worked.

LilEccentricJ
12-26-2001, 05:11 PM
Yea, works for me but slow and the Owners Circle is real slow loggin in for me, dunno bout others.

Plaz
12-26-2001, 05:19 PM
Seems they didn't even really test it with a Mac. Tons of JavaScript errors. The only way it works predictably with a Mac is to use an ancient (4.x) version of Netscrape.

bimmerguy
12-26-2001, 05:22 PM
when I log in to owners circle, I never see that security lock on my browser with MAC or PEECEE

SteveT
12-26-2001, 05:25 PM
I'm using Mac OS X (IE 5.1) and it works fine, just slow. So slow sometimes I think something's gone wrong, but eventually it come back.

Ashe too
12-26-2001, 08:30 PM
IMNSHO, the BMWNA site is awful. Too many bells and whistles, the navigation of the Owners Circle is not intuitive, the colors are borrrring, there's very little information on the cars, the site is slow to download...it's just pitiful.

jw
12-27-2001, 06:23 AM
I think they could do a much better job. In fact, I've written them a couple of letters. Cold Fusion? That **** is not scalable. No wonder it takes so long to load up pages. BMW is supposedly porting all their overseas apps to EJB (WebLogic) and that should make things much better. Then they will be doing the same for the US.

The company I work for has engaged BMWNA a few times about their apps (internal and external). It's comical. The engineer I spoke to said he can't make any headway here in the US because he doesn't understand German and everything has to be cleared through headquarters first.

planet
12-27-2001, 07:01 AM
So it's any given BMW employee's responsibility to sprechen Deutsch or find a translator when they want to go to HQ for an issue?

Delightful.

jw
12-27-2001, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by planet
So it's any given BMW employee's responsibility to sprechen Deutsch or find a translator when they want to go to HQ for an issue?

Delightful.

In this particular case, in his IT department... yes. He said they were working on the issue, but nonetheless, that was the current situation.

We took his word for it. Either that, or he had a creative way of blowing off vendors. :)

AB
04-06-2008, 05:14 AM
Have you checked back? It seems to be OK now.

MMME30W
04-06-2008, 05:48 AM
Have you checked back? It seems to be OK now.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

maldoror
04-06-2008, 05:35 PM
BMWs website is pretty and all but the thing is broken half the time. I have all the latest software (MSIE 6.0, etc) too. Anyone else have probems with the site?

Did you try Firefox? Firefox is generally a better browser but you need both because some pages work better in one browser vs another.

bimmercontrol
04-06-2008, 08:27 PM
isnt MSIE that tool used for getting Firefox so you can go on the internet? :D

AzNMpower32
04-07-2008, 10:21 AM
The BMW NA site has always been glitchy, not detailed, and poorly conceived. If you want to see colours and good multimedia shows on every BMW model, skip over to www.bmw.co.uk. Their Configurator is terrific and uses Java, which takes perhaps 20s to load but after that it's fast and super-detailed. It'll add buttons and change equipment based on whatever options you choose.

Z4 Steve
04-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Seems they didn't even really test it with a Mac. Tons of JavaScript errors. The only way it works predictably with a Mac is to use an ancient (4.x) version of Netscrape.

I am a Mac user too and I have had problems with BMWs website before. Its working for me now.