PDA

View Full Version : How to stop this leak?

boru
11-25-2008, 05:57 AM
So my '95 540i has had a leak for several months now, and several attempts to deal with the problem have failed. Here's what I know:

During heavy rain, water drips down from somewhere near the center/steering column and pools in the passenger side footwell. If let go long enough, it spreads to the back, but appears to be entering only through the front. Some internet searches, my mechanic, and the dealership all pointed to bad vapor seals in the doors as the source of the problem, but I had those fixed, and the leak persists. My windshield gasket is missing a big chunk on the right side (the side that leaks), but the water doesn't appear to come directly from that area.

Anyway, I figured the best thing I could do would be to post images of the leak pattern and hope for a diagnosis from some of the experts on here. Thanks so much for your help!

bimmer dot info
11-25-2008, 06:40 AM
Pull the glove box and some of the center console trim. Look around and see if you can find any trace of where it is comming from.
If you can not find anything, leave the trim out and wait for some rain (or hit the car wash).

boru
11-25-2008, 08:30 AM
The car is in the garage now, but it was out all night in the rain. The leak in the photos is fresh.

How do I go about removing the glove box/center console trim? I don't do much DIY as far as the car is concerned.

Thanks!

Brian

EyeDoc1
11-25-2008, 08:58 AM
Empty the glove compartment, unclip the two side straps (the small "clips" slide off--a small screwdriver may help dislodge the clip). Then reach around to the back of the compartment and "unclip" the two somewhat large...well...lever type "clips" that fasten to a metal bar. They just unclip. Search this site for instruction on "microcabin airfilter" and note the removal instructions. It explains the procedure. Also gives some pix on the pieces of duct work that are easy to remove. Get an old egg carton to keep the screws separate for replacement. Not that difficult to do. Shoot, you may even decide to check the microcabin filter while you're at it, but it ain't mandatory.

Regards,

C.

bimmer dot info
11-25-2008, 01:56 PM
On the 540 the side straps are probably small shocks. I think they are shocks on all airbag cars.

attack eagle
11-27-2008, 01:00 AM
the rubber cover behind the fuse box could be at fault if it were not seated.

the front of the cabin is the opposite side of the firewall and wiper motor aka cowl. i'd run some water in there after removing the glovebox and hte under column cover so I could try to locate ithe source. That is about all you can do.

abakos
12-03-2008, 06:42 PM
Call me crazy...but also maybe try putting some inconspicuous tape over the hole in the windshield gasket to see if it stops the leak. I wouldn't suggest it for a long-term fix, but for the purposes of diagnosing the problem it's an easy way of ruling out one theory.

attack eagle
12-04-2008, 03:03 AM
BTW... e34s don't have vapor seals in the doors oem... they had foam not plastic.

Many people are under the weird impression that those are there to hold water in the doors, they aren't. they are to protect door panels and electrics from splashes as wet windows are rolled down or up, and from humidity as the doors dry out inside in the sun... that is all.

BradHouser
12-04-2008, 07:28 AM
So my '95 540i has had a leak for several months now, and several attempts to deal with the problem have failed. Here's what I know:

During heavy rain, water drips down from somewhere near the center/steering column and pools in the passenger side footwell. If let go long enough, it spreads to the back, but appears to be entering only through the front. Some internet searches, my mechanic, and the dealership all pointed to bad vapor seals in the doors as the source of the problem, but I had those fixed, and the leak persists. My windshield gasket is missing a big chunk on the right side (the side that leaks), but the water doesn't appear to come directly from that area.

Anyway, I figured the best thing I could do would be to post images of the leak pattern and hope for a diagnosis from some of the experts on here. Thanks so much for your help!

I had a similar leak, but it came from the side. Pushing some weed wacker string through the sunroof drain holes cleared it out. Worth a try!