PDA

View Full Version : 95 540i power steering leak

gscottk
11-27-2008, 09:56 AM
My 1995 540i is leaking power steering fluid, cant find the source but the driveway has drips, reservoir is slowly losing fluid, every 1000 miles needs refill. I can see some sludge around the hoses on the reservior, but its old sludge. Under side of chassis has red drips off the frame toward the front of the engine, but no apparent source. Any ideas, any experience using ATF in power steering with stop leak? Also cant find the auto trans dipstick - does this use the same ATF reservoir?

yaofeng
11-27-2008, 02:17 PM
Are you sure yours uses ATF? The PS reservoir on mine has a green label which says pentosin. One day the green label peeled off. Underneath the label it says ATF on the plastic cap.

With respect to the leek it is tough. The PS pump is one of the most congested areas in the engine compartment on the 4.0 V8. I suggest you remove the pan between the engine and the radiator. Spray engine gunk remover from the bottom to clean as much as you can. Then start the engine and turn the wheels (with the front jacked up of course) to see if you can spot the leak.

gscottk
11-27-2008, 04:15 PM
thanks yaofeng will work it thru like you recommend

AHalibut
11-28-2008, 11:57 AM
Mine had an indentical leak. I replaced the power steering reservoir and the hoses going to it and this resolved the problem. Make sure the correct types of clamps are used to fasten the hoses to the reservoir.

mikes95540i
11-29-2008, 02:25 PM
My 95 540i has the same leak. I did what was suggested earlier and removed the splash shields under the car and cleaned everything. I found that the hoses connected to the power steering reservoir were leaking at the clamps. I removed the factory "crimp" clamps and installed stainless hose clamps and stopped that leak. I followed the hoses down and forward along the frame member and came to a second set of clamps. removed and replaced as before and that too is now dry. Continuing forward I found another set of those crimp clamps along that same frame member, just about even with the radiator. They too are leaking, I get a slight buildup of fluid on the spoiler just under the access to the fog lamp. These are so hard to get to that I haven't fixed them yet. I think that if I go at it from under the car I will be able to reach them but I may need to lift the radiator some to do it. I'm willing to give a little sweat and blood to fix it myself because the dealer wants something north of $1,000. to do it. That money could be much better spent on a new high performance exhaust system!
Good luck!

mikes95540i
11-29-2008, 02:30 PM
Oh yea, If you have an automatic transmission it does not have a dip stick. Check through the post, you will find all the information you need to deal with that.

This is a GREAT website, I couldn't do without it!