PDA

View Full Version : head bolt question

mikenite!!!!
11-27-2008, 06:12 PM
so im taking my head off again cause i keep blowing head gaskets and this time i cant get the head bolts to budge for ****ttttttttttt

any advice for getting them loose

dannyc9997
11-27-2008, 08:40 PM
What kind of tool are you using? And do you care to elaborate on how you "keep blowing head gaskets" :yikes:

mikenite!!!!
11-28-2008, 07:15 AM
im using a torque wrench

and im not sure why it keeps blowing them to be honest i put a built heald wti ha shrick cam and lightweight valves springs rockers etc... and i have a big bore throtell body and my intake manifold has polished runners and large injectors

and after doing those i have gone through 2 head gaskets

dannyc9997
11-28-2008, 09:19 PM
im using a torque wrench

and im not sure why it keeps blowing them to be honest i put a built heald wti ha shrick cam and lightweight valves springs rockers etc... and i have a big bore throtell body and my intake manifold has polished runners and large injectors

and after doing those i have gone through 2 head gaskets

Is the car overheating? Im not sure why you would have such a tough time getting the bolts off, unless they were threaded wrong last time they were installed. You do NOT want to break the bolts or strip the thread as this would be cause for major repair. I suggest bringing the car to a proffesional to get the bolts off, and to help you with the HG problem. If your car has overheated badly you may have a warped head.

attack eagle
11-28-2008, 10:25 PM
I hope you are not reusing the bolts... they are one time use only.

I also hope you aren't just torquing them

They must be torqued and then Turned a certain angle amount additionally.

Either of those would cause repeated HG failures

mikenite!!!!
11-29-2008, 07:50 AM
im dumb but not that dumb
hahah

whats the correct angle ??

bimmer dot info
12-01-2008, 09:41 AM
Are you using the torque wrench to remove the bolts? If so try a breaker bar.

ross1
12-01-2008, 10:53 AM
My recollection is that all of the head bolt holes on the M30 are blind. If oil remains in those holes your torque readings are way off. I've heard of the hydraulic pressure actually cracking blocks.
Be sure the holes are clean and dry. Surfaces also must be clean, dry and flat. Run a chaser, not a tap, down the holes. Use new bolts. Allow head to rest before final tightening.
Regarding the ones that are tight. You need to remove them and unscrewing them is the only way so cross your fingers and get a long bar.