PDA

View Full Version : Perplexing starting problem.

Velocissimo
11-29-2008, 08:06 AM
Okay, so I've had my hellrot '94 525i for several years now, near perfect car, no problems at all. A week ago however while I was out I tried to start the car at 3am and it turns over, but doesn't start. Mind you an hour beforehand I had started it for about 5 minutes.

Came back the next day in the afternoon, thought it was the relays under the hood that control the fuel pump and starter, and sure enough it started. Started it several times later that night.

Next day, doesn't start. Fiddle with it more, eventually it starts. And starts several more times.

Next day, doesn't start.

Pretty much repeat that a few times and you arrive at today :P

Its not the starter and fuel pumps relays, nor any fuses, tried and replaced anything of relevance.

Symptoms are that it obviously doesn't start, despite turning over, the central locking doesn't work, and the windows and sunroof don't work when its on the fritz. Yet when it does start, it runs perfectly and everything is fine? The problem seems to occur when its cooled down, because after you start it, it runs and starts perfectly until the next morning.

Any ideas? Cheers

mikenite!!!!
11-29-2008, 08:26 AM
the fusible link maybe ??

bimmer dot info
12-01-2008, 09:42 AM
Could be a bad ground or possibly a bad crank sensor.

dannyc9997
12-01-2008, 12:41 PM
Pull the plugs and see if they are getting wet. You may have more than one issue here.