PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Electronic Door Locks

MJA_
11-29-2008, 08:09 AM
I have a '95 E34 and the front passenger side door lock will not engage with the remote. It will unlock ok but won't lock. Can these mechanisms be lubricated? If so is that a routine (frequent) maintenance item?

Thanks.

priceman14
11-29-2008, 09:04 AM
check out http://www.bmwe34.net/Wiki/tiki-index.php for any maintinance related things

i havent heard anyone ever having to lubricate the door locks, (although i could be mistaken), maybe your door locks have become out of synce, has your battery died or have you disconected it recently?

MJA_
11-29-2008, 09:22 AM
I have owned the car for 3 days so I haven't had a chance to really get to know it yet. And I will check to see if the manual "all lock" function works.

rdc
12-01-2008, 03:13 AM
Could be the door lock actuator. Mine has done the same thng in colder weather below about 40 degrees for almost 6 years. Warm weather works fine. I do need to fix it. :) Actuator is about $60 through BMA. Will need to remove door panel to fix.

BradHouser
12-01-2008, 06:17 AM
I have a '95 E34 and the front passenger side door lock will not engage with the remote. It will unlock ok but won't lock. Can these mechanisms be lubricated? If so is that a routine (frequent) maintenance item?

Thanks.

On the side of the door, only visible when open, there is a little plastic cover that allows you to lubricate the mechanism. I used silicone spray with a tube, to free up the driver's side door lock, which would not work reliably when cold. Although I haven't seen true winter cold (Northern CA, 40's at night this time of year), it seems to have helped.

rdc
12-01-2008, 06:34 AM
On the side of the door, only visible when open, there is a little plastic cover that allows you to lubricate the mechanism. I used silicone spray with a tube, to free up the driver's side door lock, which would not work reliably when cold. Although I haven't seen true winter cold (Northern CA, 40's at night this time of year), it seems to have helped.

Did not help mine. Wish it did! Tempted to try PB blaster