PDA

View Full Version : The seat project has beat me down

MJA_
11-29-2008, 07:27 PM
After reading the DIY sections on the power seat fixes I tore into it this morning. I need to say that I have sport seats with the 3 setting memory. Well I figured out which moter did what and figured that having the seat out was the best idea. Not too tough to this point but the sport seats control this with one motor. I have to note that I have multiple motor failures. Both sides of the seat back tilt don't work. The head rest doesn't work. Not a big deal. The front tilt motor only goes up and the rear tilt motor doesn't work at all. So my first find is that the cable that goes from the motor to the right seat back tilt had actually broke and poked itself out of the side of the sheath. It looks like I have to tear the entire seat apart to get the back tilt gear mechanism apart to put a new cable in. All the plugs are in and tight so the motors that don't work must be toast.
This was a $55,000 car in 1995. The freaking Germans should be able to build something that lasts longer that 15 years.
So I am putting all the parts back together and I will deliver it to my fiendly BMW mechanic. He won't be so friendly working on this mess and I won't be to happy paying the bill. :mad:

yaofeng
11-30-2008, 04:52 AM
I am with you. When I fixed the broken seat bracket a few weeks ago I did try to see if the skewed seat back syndrome can be fixed when I had the seat removed. I found it'll take much more time than what I alooted for. But I haven't given up DIY. So far no one else has touched my cars.

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/586269/

evoasis
12-16-2008, 02:06 PM
Both my seats only recline to one side (The left side of the seat reclines and the right side stays in place on drivers and visaversa on passenger) lol it suckkkkkssss

EyeDoc1
12-16-2008, 03:02 PM
You can search on Ebay for someone that will fix the seat for you. There are a couple of places that make a tidy living fixing the seats, not on the theory that "if it will break" but "when it will break". www.e34net clearly details this as an almost absolute certainty of failure. I got a seat from the junkyard for 40 bucks and was lucky, with enough parts swap to get it fixed. But finding seats and parts is very hit and miss. Ebay and their service may be what you need if it totally is above you level of expertise.

I did buy, about 2 years ago, a guide to removing the seat, and it may have this guys name on it, if you want me to research it. Seemed pretty competent. Just a thought. For me, once I got it in the correct position, I just never adjust it.

As for tearing the seat apart, you need a good sized workbench and some clean dropcloths to keep the seats clean (I've got cloth seats and that's anohter issue). Best of luck fixing them. Just allow ample time. It always takes longer with BMW's.

Regards,

C.

bimmer dot info
12-17-2008, 06:28 AM
evoasis - Search for seat twist fix. If you have the time and some basic skill you can fix it for free (or at least for the cost of the tools and a lighter).

ross1
12-18-2008, 08:15 AM
Have a better look at your switches and connections.
Unless deliberately abused or overloaded I'd bet the farm you don't have more than one if any failed motors.
BTW, It was closer to $45k, you likely paid a small fraction of that and shouldn't be complaining.

MJA_
12-20-2008, 06:36 PM
With a little more time I will dig into the switches, relays and general wiring because I agree with ross1 the motors just can't be all bad.
I did find the guy on eBay that Rebuilds BMW seats for $199 + shipping. Wow if he does a good job that is a great deal.
And to verify price I still have the window sticker from my 540/6 and it was $55k in 1995. So we who are fortunate to have bought one of these cars at a much lower price should feel pretty darned good. These are wonders of engineering.

jaym540i
12-22-2008, 12:48 AM
With a little more time I will dig into the switches, relays and general wiring because I agree with ross1 the motors just can't be all bad.
I did find the guy on eBay that Rebuilds BMW seats for $199 + shipping. Wow if he does a good job that is a great deal.
And to verify price I still have the window sticker from my 540/6 and it was $55k in 1995. So we who are fortunate to have bought one of these cars at a much lower price should feel pretty darned good. These are wonders of engineering.

What is the name of the person and his contact information for fixing BMW sport seats?

regards,

Jay

evoasis
12-22-2008, 01:16 AM
evoasis - Search for seat twist fix. If you have the time and some basic skill you can fix it for free (or at least for the cost of the tools and a lighter).

lol thanks!

MJA_
12-22-2008, 03:31 PM
What is the name of the person and his contact information for fixing BMW sport seats?

regards,

Jay

Here is the post on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/BMW-seat-repair-gearbox-motor-cable-frame-base-back_W0QQitemZ270285810133QQihZ017QQcategoryZ33701 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem