PDA

View Full Version : Your Exhaust

5150 BMW
11-29-2008, 09:06 PM
In the near future i want to buy a e36 m3, but I'm not sure what exhaust i want to buy? I was thinking about buying a Active Autowerke, but the one I want is not road legal in CA. So I was wondering what are you guys using? :dunno: It would really help :)

rrsperry
11-30-2008, 07:59 PM
All cat back exhausts are legal.

5150 BMW
11-30-2008, 08:54 PM
Yeah those are really good too

rrsperry
12-01-2008, 06:12 AM
What? Cat back isn't a brand, it's a description, of the exhaust system from the outlet of the catalytic converters to the tail pipe. They do not effect emissions, and do not require a CARB exemption. A track pipe on the other hand, removes the catalytic converters and is a violation of both state and federal laws.

e30e
12-04-2008, 01:07 AM
Search, ugh!

ianiac
12-10-2008, 01:36 PM
All cat back exhausts are legal.

Not true, it depends on where you live. Yes, they may be emissions legal, but sound legal is another story. Depending on the state you live in, you may have sound laws.

I live in Illinois, where it's illegal to modify your exhaust in any way that will cause it too be louder than it came from factory. I think it's safe to say most all e36 aftermarket catbacks will be louder.

I have a UCC System-U exhaust on my car, and I absolutely love it. I have been pulled over 22 times and never gotten a ticket for it though. However, I have had it brought up several times and had a close call.

fun2drive
12-11-2008, 01:52 PM
You will really have a hard time getting a better flowing exhaust then the factory one and you will pay a lot of money for it also for what is not much gain.

If you want something that sounds louder than most systems out there will fit the bill but again the factory system is heavy but works well.

Question is what is your requirement regarding this exhaust system? Sound-increase hp-lighter weight?

egk2
12-14-2008, 01:14 PM
I run a Borla on my m3/4, honestly one of the best sounding exhausts for the
e36 m3, no cheap rasp, lighter than stock, and loud when you want it
to be.

The AA cat back is very quiet if that's what you're looking for but lets be
honest, most people buy an exhaust for the sound.

B&B triflo, UUC sustem U, Eisenmann race are on the louder end of the spectrum

AA, Borla, Remus, Stromung, Dinan are more sublte.

Click here for sound clips.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=753952&highlight=exhaust+thread

mcmahan_alex
12-31-2008, 02:41 PM
B&B triflo, UUC sustem U, Eisenmann race are on the louder end of the spectrum

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=753952&highlight=exhaust+thread

Rogue DMS is also on the loud end of the spectrum as well. No matter what you decide to put on, it will sound awesome. BECAUSE IT IS A BMW!!!:thumbup:

Bryan@Jlevi SW
01-21-2009, 03:49 PM
The AA Gen 3 is quite tame at low RPM's and sounds great when you get on the throttle. It's always been and still will be a fantastic E36 cat-back.

I had the UUC TSE for a while, got ticketed once for it then sold it a while after. Now I have straight pipes.:thumbup: