PDA

View Full Version : Battery issue/ alternator?

Mobius1
11-30-2008, 06:28 AM
Now I hate to just ask a question but after searching the threads i have come up empty handed. I'm buying a 95 540i from a friend of mine and it won't start. The starter clicks but thats about it. So is it safe to assume its the battery that needs to be replaced? if not the battery then would it be the alternator? If it is the alternator is it easy to replace by my self? I live in italy at the moment and don't speak a word of italian so i would be ordering the part and doing all the work my self. back to the battery for a sec, can I replace the bettery with whatever one I want or does it have to be huge like the one thats in it now?

yaofeng
11-30-2008, 07:17 AM
You need a fully charged good battery to do any meaningful diagnosis so get that done first. No. BMW has specific requirements for the battery so not every battery fits.

Mobius1
11-30-2008, 08:19 AM
well any ideas as to what the specs are for the battery or at least a free online site that would help?

d geek
11-30-2008, 08:33 AM
Can you successfully start the car by jump-starting? If so, then it probably is the battery.

I would try charging up the battery first, and making sure the connections are corrosion free and tight at each point (starter, block and both terminals). If a connection cannot deliver the amperage needed by the starter, then you could have symptoms similar to what you describe.

the owner's manual should list the battery specs. look for CCA and Ah.

Mobius1
11-30-2008, 09:33 AM
yeah I wish there was an owners manual. I checked the battery and everything is clean. Its just weird because he was driving all week. Come saturday we had to jump start it and ever since we have to jump start it each time. I'll just have to take the battery out and have it get charged at the auto hobby shop when I go on base tuesday. This car has some odd problems. If you lock the driver side door the wipers only work on high speed and the windows won't go down. If you unlock it then they'll work. Shut the car off and lock the driver side door and the hazards come on. Other than the stupid electrical problem and radio not working its a great car. I needed a second car since the wife is pregnant so now i just have to take the good and the bad.

d geek
11-30-2008, 01:28 PM
definitely get the alternator checked out. Sounds like it may not be charging the battery sufficiently.

those auto hobby shops in the military are awesome. glad to hear they still have that benefit in the military. I was stationed in Berllin in the 80's and was always in the auto hobby shop tinkering on a bmw :)

enjoy your time overseas. You will have a different perspective of life.

dannyc9997
11-30-2008, 08:53 PM
yeah I wish there was an owners manual. I checked the battery and everything is clean. Its just weird because he was driving all week. Come saturday we had to jump start it and ever since we have to jump start it each time. I'll just have to take the battery out and have it get charged at the auto hobby shop when I go on base tuesday. This car has some odd problems. If you lock the driver side door the wipers only work on high speed and the windows won't go down. If you unlock it then they'll work. Shut the car off and lock the driver side door and the hazards come on. Other than the stupid electrical problem and radio not working its a great car. I needed a second car since the wife is pregnant so now i just have to take the good and the bad.

Get a new battery, an old dead battery can cause all kinds of weird things like this.

Mobius1
12-01-2008, 10:32 AM
is it normal for the center buttons that control the windows to still be lit when you shut the car off and take the key out? I noticed they didn't shut off until i shut the door to leave the car for the night.

dannyc9997
12-01-2008, 12:33 PM
is it normal for the center buttons that control the windows to still be lit when you shut the car off and take the key out? I noticed they didn't shut off until i shut the door to leave the car for the night.

They stay lit a short time, I think its kindof a nice touch to the car.

sirbimmer
12-05-2008, 02:16 PM
They stay lit a short time, I think its kindof a nice touch to the car.

Mine stay lit ALL the time :confused:

attack eagle
12-05-2008, 10:59 PM
you have a bad GM then.

Mobius1
12-06-2008, 02:21 AM
Whats a GM? a side from the car maker? Also so far a new battery has done the trick. We'll see what happends when I go start it this morning.

dannyc9997
12-06-2008, 04:29 PM
Whats a GM? a side from the car maker? Also so far a new battery has done the trick. We'll see what happends when I go start it this morning.

General Modual

evoasis
12-07-2008, 01:12 AM
If your tach doesn't work that usually indicates a bad alternator, otherwise prob/ just a bad battery...

Mobius1
12-07-2008, 08:42 AM
well so far the new battery has done the trick. Now I just have to figure out some other issues it has.