PDA

View Full Version : HELP! No Brake Lights

Tourburgring
12-01-2008, 08:09 PM
Driving my 525iT from Philadelphia today en-route to Canada and I have no Brake Lights. The Bulbs are OK, Fuses OK and there is power to/from the switch on the Brake pedal. Any suggestions?

bimmer dot info
12-02-2008, 09:03 AM
If the switch, bulbs and fuses are good you will need to check the wiring.

Tourburgring
12-02-2008, 11:22 AM
My Bentley Manual hasn't arrived yet, do you know the routing from the Brake Switch to the Brake Lights? Is each Brake Light wired seperately? If so is there a common point that could be suspect as I doubt all wiring would be damaged? Any assistance would be appreciated - its scary driving in town with no Brake lights. I'm using my 4-Way Flashers as I come to a stop to warn traffic behind, but it is not very comforting!! :yikes:

ross1
12-03-2008, 12:13 PM
The switch could be out of adjustment. Try manually moving the plunger

Viktor
12-03-2008, 08:23 PM
maybe wrong bulbs? i accidentally put a bulb smaller on one of the rear breaks and it didn't work. i put the bigger bulb and it worked just fine. the prons were the same

attack eagle
12-04-2008, 02:56 AM
brake switch? double check that it is actually working IN THE CAR not when manually depressed by hand.

don't remember if there is a relay or not.

DO know you can download the electronic diagrams for your car from www.e38.org/e34

Tourburgring
12-04-2008, 10:54 PM
Thanks all - especially Attack Eagle.
It was the Brake Light Switch. It appeared to be OK but I then found that my Cruise Control did not disengage if I hit the brake pedal. The only common element to that and no brake lights is the switch. Fitted a new switch and all is well. :)