PDA

View Full Version : porshe or m3

summer13
12-03-2008, 01:54 PM
well i'v been looking at 944 turbos for a wile and came across the e36 m3, i like them alot. just would like to hear some opions on what the better car is???

MVF4Rider
12-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Porsches don't age well unless extremely well taken care of. I would almost base a decision purely on condition if you like both cars.

summer13
12-03-2008, 02:53 PM
some guy on a porshe web site says 944 turbo hand down??

joshmistake
12-03-2008, 03:02 PM
i think i would go with an m3...although a well maintained 944 is a nice vehicle...the m3 will sell itself on the ride/drive/power. that is just my opinion but i have driver both and i had a lot more fun driving an m3. loads of power, incredible handling and i like the looks of the m3 better. of course some guy on a porsche website said to buy a 944. i'll line up my m3 next to a 944 any day of the week...now that gas is only $1.99 :)

summer13
12-03-2008, 03:16 PM
you think i can get a desent m3 for around 7500

joshmistake
12-03-2008, 04:08 PM
check your private messages "summer13".

e30e
12-03-2008, 04:39 PM
The real question is how big is your wallet or how many tools do you own. Both are going to be maintenance whores and both are expensive to fix, just depends on how much money or tools you have to do those things. E36 m3 does have a real back seat though.

kyfdx
12-04-2008, 07:30 AM
The real question is how big is your wallet or how many tools do you own. Both are going to be maintenance whores and both are expensive to fix, just depends on how much money or tools you have to do those things. E36 m3 does have a real back seat though.

While a 944 turbo is a stout car... the repair/maintenance bills will kill you... The E36 M3 is a Honda Civic in comparison, as far as costs...

Possibly the most expensive Porsche to maintain, along with the 928...

summer13
12-04-2008, 04:57 PM
i have all the tools you need to work on an american car like sockets, wrenches,etc.. :thumbup: what else do you need?????

BDL
12-05-2008, 01:59 PM
Depends on the year. The last 944 was built in '89, so will likely have many miles. The 968 replaced it until '95 I believe and is an excellent car. I had an '89 944 S2 that now has over 200,000 miles with the new buyer who uses it as a daily beater. He also has an '89 turbo that he would not trade for my '99 M3. The 944 has a minimal back seat that folds down for mucho luggage room, but the seat is not usable for real people. Great handling, good looks, fast, but like the M3, does require that you either be handy or get to know your mechanic. My wife finds the M3 much more acceptable than the 944, if that is a consideration.

summer13
12-05-2008, 02:04 PM
yea. my dad is very mechincly inclined and has a friend that is big with m3,, he rebuilt on with a vette engine in it

ZHPEE
12-05-2008, 02:54 PM
I have owned a 944 Turbo S..... and I've owned a few BMW's now. Getting my 08 M3 coupe in a couple weeks....anyway, as far as the porsche goes.....VERY expensive to maintain. Nice car, nice ride, but it's a pocket book killer. Not a very reliable ride. Now I've never riden in nor driven an E36 , so I couldn't tell you the difference's in ride. But I'll tell you straight off......that I can guarantee you that the E36 will be a more reliable ride. That Bmw won't break as fast if you push it.....push that 944 turbo and $$$$ will be flying out of your wallet in no time. My best friend also at the time owned a normal aspirated 944 turbo......i watched him rebuild that turbo 2X over a 4 year period. Then the electrical problems.......don't get me started. Mine had electrical gremlin's also........my tubro S was VERY fast though. Not sure of the specs of the E36, but I know I was doing 0-60's in the 5.3 - 5.4 seconds. 247 hp engine. Brakes were the same set up as the 928S4. The discs were huge...that car could stop on a dime. The normal 944 turbo was brought out in '85 and was rated at 220 hp I do believe if my memory serves me right. 85B cars (1985 1/2 production cars got a makeover, including phone dial wheels...over the previous years cookie cutter wheels) got a ton of new changes for that year. Like interior and mechanical.

If your on a Porsche site.....ofcourse they will steer you towards the porsche. It's a porsche fanatic site. If your on this site, ofcourse the majority will steer you towards the E36. But honestly.....I've owned a 944 and currently own bmw's. I won't sit here and tell you the 944 turbo is a piece of crap. Cause it's not. BUT.....it is OLD for a turbo. I bet that turbo has been changed/fixed more than once already. What is the gearbox like? 944's are known for the syncro's going..... syncro mesh was improved after 87.....but production ended in 89 I do believe. My buddies porsche would always grind shifting from first to second after 100,000 miles. There cheap cars now....and may seem like a bargain.....but seriously listen to what I'm saying here... VERY EXPENSIVE TO FIX AND MAINTAIN...BMW'S HAVE BETTER RELIABILITY AND LONGITIVITY THAT WON'T BREAK YOUR $$$$$ ACCOUNT.

Hope this helped......... maybe someone can fill in the E36 specs for you on power and stuff if that's a concern for you. Maybe your balancing out hp and performance over reliabilty and price.....I dunno.

summer13
12-05-2008, 03:36 PM
thanks ZHPEE for the good info, yea i could afford an 944 but im leaning towards saving a little more and get an m3, another problem is insurence?? an m3 is going to be alot more, right

summer13
12-05-2008, 04:07 PM
guy at the porshe site got all pissed at me for asking this same question???? he says your comparing "apples to oranges"

bimmer7
12-05-2008, 04:37 PM
guy at the porshe site got all pissed at me for asking this same question???? he says your comparing "apples to oranges"

haha :rofl::rofl:

RCK
12-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Hey Summer

Do me a favor and check your spelling before you post. The text editor will display a red line beneath misspelled words. Simply right-click and select the correctly spelled word.

And for God's sake...at least know how to spell Porsche :tsk:

My apologies for the hijack...carry on

09krolt
12-05-2008, 10:11 PM
[QUOTE=RCK;3747488]Hey Summer

Do me a favor and check your spelling before you post. The text editor will display a red line beneath misspelled words. Simply right-click and select the correctly spelled word.

And for God's sake...at least know how to spell Porsche :tsk:

My apologies for the hijack...carry on[

Does bad grammar upset you that much, this is a fourm about bmw's not grammar class.

ZHPEE
12-06-2008, 12:15 AM
LOL....ya the Porsche guy said that cause he's a Porsche freak. Don't let him get to you. He's just narrow sighted because of his love for that brand. Doesn't even mean he owns one. Maybe he just owns a Maisto display model of it and stares at it all day long drooling on his Red Lobster bib.

SUMMER13....... what years are you looking at? what year Porsche and what year E36? Porsche's don't hold their value very well either, btw. New or used. I just recently got rid of my cayenne turbo S........ traded it in on an X6. Way too much trouble with that thing, and it was only 2 years old! Couldn't even imagine what it would cost after the warranty was gone.......... I personally don't like to burn money or just throw it around to dealers......I prefer a reliable european vehicle..not a wallet sucking one. Just my 2 cents.

If your hell bend on the Porsche, I can give you a few pointers and things to look for if your gonna buy one ;P...... just hit me up anytime you want. And I'm sure someone on here will help you with the E36 thing for pointers too if you choose that way. I don't know much about the E36's.

Buy wisely.....and buy what YOU want. Buy what makes YOU feel right. Buying what someoneelse tells YOU to buy, may cause you to wake up in the morning looking at a vehicle YOU infact really didn't want.

This lesson has been brought to you by the word 'YOU' and the Bimmerfest internet workshop.

RCK
12-06-2008, 01:15 AM
Does bad grammar upset you that much, this is a fourm about bmw's not grammar class.

My contention is regarding spelling not grammar. Maybe you should read my post thoroughly before you comment. :dunno:

summer13
12-06-2008, 11:36 AM
well i would like ether a 87-89 Porsche 944 turbo or a e36 m3 like it really doesn't matter what year it is, heard the 95 are the best? you guys are good hear on bimmerfest not like on the Porsche site wear they got all pissy when i asked the same question.. lol

Bruce
12-06-2008, 12:41 PM
If I were to buy an E36 M3 would have to be a 96-99 with the 3.2L. I would not consider a 944 due to upkeep costs. The M3 is already 10 years old, the 944 is twice that old.

09krolt
12-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Go for the e36 m3, 944's are sluggish cars

BimmerAddict530
12-07-2008, 12:40 AM
i can tell by posts that the Porsche is more troublesome and tends to empty out your wallet more than an m3. Id go for an M3 due to its everyday use and power when its need. if its properly maintained, you'll love it! good luck with your choice.

ZHPEE
12-07-2008, 03:56 AM
Go for the e36 m3, 944's are sluggish cars

An '89 Porsche 944 Turbo S...... is no sluggish car. It's lighter and has more HP than your car. Not a fan of Porsche's anymore but I gotta be honest here.......

The first E36 M3 to be imported to the United States was the 1995 model, which received a 3.0 L engine with 240 hp (179 kW) and 305 N***8226;m (225 ft·lbf) (S50B30US), a different suspension and a 0-60mph (0-96km/h) time in about 6 seconds.

In 1988, Porsche introduced the 944 Turbo S. The 944 Turbo S had a more powerful engine (designation number M44/52) with 247 hp (compared to the standard 944 Turbo's 217 hp) and 350 Nm torque (or 258 ft·lbf, versus 243 ft·lbf) and a 0-60mph (0-96km/h) time in about 5.5 seconds.

And you don't even wanna know the quarter mile times.....the 944 turbo S does them in the 13's. And we're talking about a car 7 years older than that E36 M3.... That's no sluggish car.

09krolt
12-08-2008, 11:08 AM
I was talking about the non-turbo 944's. Are the 951's turbo

ZHPEE
12-08-2008, 11:39 PM
951 is a 944 turbo....... 944 Turbo is a model which internally is referred to as the Porsche 951. The 951 was only the model number used behind the scenes but on the street and on the market this Porsche was the 944 Turbo and it was one of the most under rated cars ever. The 951 model number never actually made it into the line up.

ianiac
12-10-2008, 01:41 PM
My friend has a 944 and I love the car. Especially the power assist handling, I absolutely love how it feels. However, both him and I like my car better.

I'd purely base the decision on what one you like the looks of better.

simon325e
12-11-2008, 12:17 PM
Maybe he just owns a Maisto display model of it and stares at it all day long drooling on his Red Lobster bib.

LMFAO!!!

Anyway, "what should I buy" threads are pretty lame becasue so mauch depends on YOU. The fact is that the E36 M3 was mass produced and benefits from having shared systems with the fleet of more plebians threes. This shows up in used part availability and cost. There is absolutely no panache to a 944 even though it earned some respect in its day. Many call it the poor-man's Porsche.

go drive each one and report back on your impressions. Being that both cars have been out of production, the variability between particular examples will be greater than the difference between the M3 and 944 when new.

At the end of the day, most of the folks here went with the E36 M3 uber alles. There is good reason for that, but the question remains whether YOUR needs will be met by one. I love mine and will keep it forever.

Now off to stare at my Maisto of the E90 M3...

ZHPEE
12-11-2008, 10:48 PM
"Now off to stare at my Maisto of the E90 M3... "

HEHEHE

Actually the 924 and 914 were called the poor man's porsche's...the 944,911 and 928 were considered the real porsches...... Which I'm sure the guys over at the Porsche forums all own in Maisto cars. When I first saw SIMON325e's picture......I thought he took a picture of his MAISTO cars....hehehe. Oh by the way..if anyone see's a maisto car in a zhp....let me know.

Oh and SIMON325.......... Don't forget to put on your Red Lobster Bib! ;P

BMWnPorsche
12-12-2008, 03:53 AM
Well, my first car was a 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo. This thing is fast and it has the best handling I've ever felt (voted many years for best handling). I once took a corner turning right with a car in the opposite lane (very little clearance) at around 50-60 mph and it didn't even erp. Now, I do not own an m3 but I have driven some on the track (same with Porsche). The Porsche has superb handling compared to the m3, the speed of the Porsche is a little quicker around turns but I think the m3 tops out faster. The 944 and m3 have around the same acceleration with me driving, but I think the 944 is supposed to have a little quicker 0-60. But, the Porsche burns up an indescribable amount of money (as everyone has said). The parts are much more rare and everything Porsche is 5x as much. But, there is the "It's a freaking Porsche!" aspect, and since I am 16, this is huge. The BMW also has a good name to it but not nearly as high end as a Porsche. I now own a 1994 BMW 325is. This is because the Porsche was getting too much for my blood. I know the m3 stuff is a little more expensive but so far the e36 is reasonable in terms of repair, aftermarket parts, and performance upgrades. My Porsche is garaged now but I still take it out for a spin. I absolutely love the sleek design of the 944. Its almost like it comes stock with a wide body kit. So, I still love my Porsche and now love my 325is but I think the BMW is much more reasonable in price (I haven't heard any complaints from other m3 drivers). I would go with the m3, you WILL save more money and you could use that money to upgrade your m3 if you choose, and that should put out more horsepower then a 944 Turbo. The name "Porsche" is a big one, but there comes a time and price where I wasn't willing to pay 2gs every year to fix it. That's my 2 cents.

BM-Bob
12-20-2008, 11:42 AM
Hello everyone, whilst still remaining on topic, I bought my Euro Spec M3 9 months ago.
The car is very quick, does EVERYTHING very well and looks smart.
My mate just bought a 1983 911 SC with 83,000 kms (50,000 miles).

I can help but get get this burning feeling inside me that I want to sell the M3 and go down his route. I LOVE 911's especially in white with a whale tail.
Realizing this is a BMW forum, I not expecting too many people to try and talk me out of it but realistically, for a few thousand dollar change over is it worthwhile?

Here are a couple of pics of our cars.
Cheers,

Bob.

ZHPEE
12-20-2008, 04:03 PM
Having owned Porsche and BMW....... can't say this enough.....unless you like throwing money out the window and money isn't much of an issue with you, buy an older 911. That 1983 SC 911 you mate bought will be nothing but a money sucker down the road. 911's have to maintained alot....ALOT. Especially that old...... money to burn= Porsche 911(especially older models) 1983 911..... holy crap man.....get your friend a personal Porsche mechanic for Christmas. Older 911's are a pain in the butt.... even my buddy with a newer one... (2006)..... constantly has that thing in Porsche service......don't even get me started on the people i've known to have owned older 911's... they all loved their cars, but would never shut up about the maintainence fees on it. I think the car was in the shop more than they had it on the road. Good luck though, on your choice.

Missmodena310
12-20-2008, 07:23 PM

LOL apples to oranges. i personally love the M3 but both are lovely cars depends on if you are just wanting a sports car or a car you can kind of a more versatile car. Good luck on your decision