PDA

View Full Version : 530 V8 stuck in 4th

Mike-R
12-04-2008, 03:34 AM
Hi there,

I'm looking to buy a 530 V8 auto and the guy had just attempted to get it tested for it's MOT. He said it hasn't been moved in 8 weeks and that the box was stuck in fourth and also the clocks had condensation in them. But then after a drive it all cleared up and went into 5th. The MOT tester seemed to think condensation was just condensation on a sensor somewhere?

Are these minor problems that will go away after a bit of a drive, or symptoms of a more serious problem?

Thanks,
Mike.

Mike-R
12-04-2008, 04:41 AM
OK the guy says that when he started it the OBC flashed up saying 'trans safe mode', and he seems to believe it's due to water. The warning message has since gone and it drives fine. Should I be worried?

CarDriver
12-04-2008, 06:43 AM
I do not think you need to worry too much. My 525I ran like crap when I first got it and it would not down shift automatically when I would punch it. After a few days of driving every thing opened up and she is great. That was two years ago and it has been great ever since.

bimmer dot info
12-04-2008, 08:45 AM
After sitting for that long a low battery condition could cause the trans prog message.
Tell him to drive it for about a week and see if all the problems have cleared.

If the trans prog message comes back I'd pass (or buy a car with a manual trans).

Mike-R
12-04-2008, 09:19 AM
Aye he said it had cleared after about an hour driving and hasn't come back yet. Guess I'll see again in a couple of days when he takes it for a re-test. Really want a manual but hard to find in 3.0 V8 form and 540's are too much for my to insure at my innocent age. He says it was running fine a year before he left it stood.

bimmer dot info
12-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Leaving a car standing can be very hard on them. If it does well on the MOT it might be an ok buy. It couldnt hurt to spend a little extra and have your mechanic look over anything the MOT does not cover.

Mike-R
12-04-2008, 12:17 PM
Yeah, first job is a filter and fluid service, then straight pipes :)

priceman14
12-04-2008, 01:16 PM
i am in a similar situation as i am also a young person trying to buy an e34 (535i 4-speed auto) that has been left standing for quite some time (months)

could a similar problem affect this car and if so would it also go away after being driven?

oh and when u said "straight pipes" im assuming u meant removing the catalitic converters ;) thatl definately give that v8 a power boost :thumbup:

bimmer dot info
12-05-2008, 07:39 AM
Some of the problems might go away. I can not just offer a blanket statement saying that they will all get better.
Have the car inspected before you buy it. Have the inspection done by your mechanic.

Straight pipes on these cars will not net you nearly the gains you might expect (unless the cats are clogged). The BMW system is very good.

Mike-R
12-05-2008, 10:00 AM
Ha by straight pipes I mean straight pipes. No cat, resonator or backbox. More for V8 soundtrack than performance!

bimmer dot info
12-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Are there any restrictions in England about noise or having cats?
I'm not trying to flame your plan just wondering about the rules over there.

Mike-R
12-05-2008, 11:55 AM
Yeah you deffo need a cat and pretty sure you need a backbox complete with baffles. Might just resonator delete and sneak some pipes through a mock backbox and claim that's how I bought it :)