PDA

View Full Version : P21S Paint Cleaner

in_d_haus
03-06-2002, 11:43 AM
Picked up some of this stuff last night. Gonna try it out the next time I wax. Don't tell Griots! :eek:

:D
Haus

johnlew
03-06-2002, 11:54 AM
Be sure to let us know how it works. Hand app?

Guest84
03-06-2002, 11:58 AM
Cool :thumb:

I think I told you this before, but Steve (the webmaster at the wax test site) had emailed me when I questioned him about using this product instead of Griots Machine polish #3...he said to use it in conjunction with...so your really not giving up on Griots ;) Here's part of our communications...

Ripsnort asked :" I have a question for you:I really like this Machine Polish #3 (fine) from Griots, I use it to level the finish (Eliminate swirls) prior to using any wax, do you still recommend the paint cleaner even though I will be clay-barring,and leveling with polish?"

Steve replied:"Hi,

Yeah, I'd still use it. Here's why:

- We all use the Griot's #3, too, and while it's a great product, the P21S cleaner really added some extra "ooomph" to our test panels, and our test
vehicle (we put it on Rob's Audi).

- When we prepped the panels with our Meg's stuff, they looked great. We applied the P21S cleaner over the panel and said, "no way! this stuff is
incredible"

- The surface will feel extra, extra smooth after you clay, #3 & P21S clean it. You won't believe the difference (we couldn't).

- We're not sure what type of voodoo they're using with that product, but it has worked great for us so far...

Take care,
Steve

I was extremely skeptical when I tried it, but results (and this picture) don't lie.

http://home.earthlink.net/~ripsnort/BMW/BMWp21SBest.jpg

Get some post result pics up when your finished Doug!

in_d_haus
03-06-2002, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by johnlew
Be sure to let us know how it works. Hand app?

The directions on the bottle say "Apply with a damp sponge in back and forth motions". So yes I'll be doing it by hand. Don't know if you can use the PC for it.

johnlew
03-06-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by in_d_haus

The directions on the bottle say "Apply with a damp sponge in back and forth motions". So yes I'll be doing it by hand. Don't know if you can use the PC for it.

Rip was gonna try.

Guest84
03-06-2002, 12:53 PM
Yeah, was gonna this past week-end, but alas, family was demanding other things...still plan to try John, going to be this month some time...

johnlew
03-06-2002, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Yeah, was gonna this past week-end, but alas, family was demanding other things...still plan to try John, going to be this month some time...

A little spring cleaning, huh? Difference in location, you're thinking of a polish and waxing, I'm thinking of putting the 68s back on, but alas, this last weekend was our biggest snow of the winter, 8" and below zero temps.:eek:

vexed
03-06-2002, 01:38 PM
I just ordered the P21S cleaner after reading this post, among too many other things.:eek: Interestingly the guy at carcareonline told me to stay with Blitz over the P21S if I did not want to wax once a month.

Guest84
03-06-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by vexed
I just ordered the P21S cleaner after reading this post, among too many other things.:eek: Interestingly the guy at carcareonline told me to stay with Blitz over the P21S if I did not want to wax once a month.

Is Blitz a carnauba or polymer? If a carnauba, it may have more oils or beeswax in its properties to prolong the "just waxed" look. Carnauba will disenegrated via climatic elements be it ultra violet rays, rain, snow, dirt, washing it! Most car finish professionals agree that the higher the content of carnauba, the better results. It still must be mixed with other ingrediants in order to be useable, as well as dilute the carnauba, which in its natural state, is a very hard material. Blitz may have less carnauba and more "other ingrediants" to prolong its visuals. If its indeed a polymer, than its a well known fact that polymers will outlast anything that mother nature can supply (carnauba) One thing is certain, no matter what you use, its the preparation of the finish, and application of the product that will make or break any product result.

Guest84
03-06-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by johnlew

A little spring cleaning, huh? Difference in location, you're thinking of a polish and waxing, I'm thinking of putting the 68s back on, but alas, this last weekend was our biggest snow of the winter, 8" and below zero temps.:eek:

Spring cleaning, swimming, baseball...then this morning I get up and theres 1" of snow at my place :( Pale by comparison of what you guys got :yikes: Come on spring!

vexed
03-06-2002, 02:44 PM

Is Blitz a carnauba or polymer? If a carnauba, it may have more oils or beeswax in its properties to prolong the "just waxed" look. Carnauba will disenegrated via climatic elements be it ultra violet rays, rain, snow, dirt, washing it! Most car finish professionals agree that the higher the content of carnauba, the better results. It still must be mixed with other ingrediants in order to be useable, as well as dilute the carnauba, which in its natural state, is a very hard material. Blitz may have less carnauba and more "other ingrediants" to prolong its visuals. If its indeed a polymer, than its a well known fact that polymers will outlast anything that mother nature can supply (carnauba)

It is a carnuba, I have only had it on for 2 weeks so a little early to tell although the dealer's detailer used it and it held for a good 3 months. To be fair my car is garaged at home and at work and I do not wash it every week, (no flames please but it does not get that dirty).

I am resisting the Z since I cannot justify either the cost or the effort--curing time. I also think having a ligher color makes my life much easier.:thumb:

http://members.roadfly.com/vexed/garage.JPG

in_d_haus
03-06-2002, 02:52 PM
Per the folks at Griots Carnauba wax only makes it about 6 weeks and it's gone under "normal" conditions. Just wears off with wind, rain, and the rest of the elements.

Guest84
03-06-2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by in_d_haus
Per the folks at Griots Carnauba wax only makes it about 6 weeks and it's gone under "normal" conditions. Just wears off with wind, rain, and the rest of the elements.

And that ties in with my post, again, if more non-carnauba ingrediants are added (oils, bees wax) that will prolong the "look" of a freshly waxed finish, but does not necessarily mean its actually protecting the finish.

Bottom line:Higher carnauba content is better. Both Griots and P21S have vey high contents of carnauba (thus less of the other).

Dr. Phil
03-06-2002, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by vexed
I got the same suggestion when I called them. I believe Rip is right:eeps: the P21S gives a better show quality shine but loses its "shine" quicker than Blitz. Larry @ carcare told me that since mine is a daily driver to go with Blitz, but suggested the periodic P21S cleaner with either wax, but for kicks try the P21S carnuba for that spring cleaning type look:D

alee
03-06-2002, 04:18 PM
Bottom line:Higher carnauba content is better. Both Griots and P21S have vey high contents of carnauba (thus less of the other).
Rip, didn't you do your trunk half Griots, half P21S? Wondering how they're holding up.

Guest84
03-07-2002, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by alee

Rip, didn't you do your trunk half Griots, half P21S? Wondering how they're holding up.

Yes, but the only way I'm able to measure that is by water repelling and beading, and "fingernail" test...the Griots side held up longer than the P21S side when I remembered to check while washing it in early Febuary (Dec. 26th is when I applied them). Currently, most of the wax has worn off and its time for a new coat, but I'm still sticking to the P21S for now, I like both, but I like the non-hazing effect I've encountered with P21S (*Slight* hazing with Griots, but nothing that another hose down with water and wipe doesn't cure)