PDA

View Full Version : Removing the roof rack from my Touring 1995, 525i

Jairo
12-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Can someone tell me how does the roof rack comes off? As you will se from the pictures I need to refinishthem, however, the previous owner lost the locking key and I had a local locksmith cut a new one. now that I can take the cross supports off the rails, all I can see are two wedge looking locks I removed in the front rails (just above the driver seat) there are none of this in the back rails. How does this comes off?

attack eagle
12-08-2008, 06:43 PM
you take the headliner out and unbolt them from inside the car.

I have no idea what you took out of the front slot.

Jairo
12-09-2008, 06:43 PM
man, I tell you I am bias towards German rngineering but they sure do soem dome things like this. thanks.

I am not sure either what the two edge like locks are, I presume they either provide a stop for the cross members when you max out the cross bar or perhaps locls the channel with the black trim.

BTW, you may know this, on the back of the center console, between both front seats, there are two LEDs just below the air vents fo rthe back seat. do you knwo what they are for?

attack eagle
12-09-2008, 09:47 PM
one is an led for the factory alarm

the other is a microphone for the glass break sensor.

Jairo
12-10-2008, 08:20 PM
thanks, I really appreciate your help

DryBones
12-11-2008, 10:29 PM
so to take the cross beems off you need the key? if you dont mind about how much was it for the key? Thanks

Jairo
12-14-2008, 05:35 PM
I ordered the key form the dealer and it took about 2 months to get it. once it came in, I tryed both locks on one side and the key did not unlock either one of them. I went home and tried to pick the lock and it opened very easy (1 minute). my thought is that the dealer key ($13.30) was good and the reason I say this is becasue I took the cylinder out of the one I pick and the little brass locks were sticking, by that time the dealer had trashed the key away.

I whent to a local locksmith and they cat a key with the one cylinder I was able to remove and handed to them. they charged me $26 for one key and they made sure it worked on all 4 locks. I think it would have been alittle more if they had to pick the lock

An alternate solution is to drill the old locks out and replace them with cabinet locks from Lowes. the cabinet locks look and mount the same way, however you do have to use some of the babinet lock hardware and the lever from the original locks form the roof rack. each lock at Lowes is about $3.5. note: the cabinet lock keys have a number stamped on them. the Lowes I whent to, only had pairs with the same key. I was going to go to another lowes and by a matching pair form the first store this way I would end up with four locks with the same key. fortunately the lock smith worked out good for me.

On the Roof rack - I got it off. as suggested by Attack Eagle, the roof lining had to come off. I had to take it out any how, because the lining was falling apart. it is quite a job so if you have no patients, I would not suggest you dive into it. By the way, I like the car with out the rack, it looks much better with out it. If I can find some way to plug the holes, I will leave it off.

It seems that if I can find some kind of a bolt iwth a round/falt head that covers the hole I could use that. I imagine the dealer may have developed something like this?

attack eagle
12-14-2008, 06:08 PM
they didn't. cars with out sunroof and racks just had solid sheetmetal roofs.

I would have left mine off but the paint was so bad underneath them I can't.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b106/AttackEagle/DSC_0006-1.jpg

the easiest Idea I have ever seen is to find a plastic/rubber plug that will fit the hole. It looks 'factory' and gives you the option of putting them back on down the road... and is not nearly the work that welding them shut would be.

on that headliner... 1/8 inch foamback. not 1/4" (american style).

Jairo
12-17-2008, 05:15 PM
the plugs is a great idea, I am refinishing the mounts and cross bars any way, they are turning out really good. I will post soem pics once done. I noticed you remounted teh supports but lfet the cross bars off, still looks good. I am also refinshing the liningadn that is turning to be an ok job too