PDA

View Full Version : 1989 E34 Transmission Problems, need help

lcrewsjr
12-10-2008, 12:15 PM
1989 E34 with the Automatic Transmission having trouble shifting into final gear over 45 miles per hour. Have to tap on the Gear Shift several times to have car shift into final gear. What would cause this problem, and what are possible solutions with a tight budget?:):dunno:

Tourburgring
12-10-2008, 03:54 PM
It might be a selector linkage problem or could be something as simple as a sticking tranny valve in which case one of the many Transmission 'cure-all' additives may help. If this is the only problem (ie. no slippage or problem in other gears) then I would recommend you try this first and if it helps plan a transmission fluid & filter change. You may also want to consider synthetic ATF but that can be expensive. It did wonders for my E30 tranny though.

Rodrick Msuya
12-15-2008, 04:22 AM
I have Model:BMW 525i Chassis: E34 Engine: M50 Year:1995. Last week I decided to drain the transmission and cleaned the pan and then finding out that I will need special ATF for refilling.
I am currently living in South Africa, but I have some relatives living in USA and I have asked them to find me the best BMW recommended ATF and send it over.
I have grounded the car at the moment waiting for the Fluid, but I have also been busy browsing the net looking for some kind of direction to what I should buy from US.
My first option is RedLine ATF that are provided in Five type, Synthetic ATF, Synthetic D4 ATF, Synthetic High-Temp ATF, Synthetic Racing ATF, Red Line C+ ATF. More info on http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/Redline/ATFsTD.pdf
Can some one please tell me which ATF I should buy for the car and more suitable for tropical countries.

Rodrick Msuya
12-16-2008, 04:38 AM
I was emailed by bmw dealer in US saying that they need to know which color and number is on the sticker on the transmission, but which sticker do they mean I have been under there several times but can not find any sticker, can someone please tell me where I can find the number that say are talking about.

mednetlive
12-16-2008, 06:23 AM
If I'm not mistaken, most if not all BMW A/T's use Dexron. It really shouldn't be to hard to find as it Dexron is used in many vehicles ( NOT DEXRON/ MERCOM). I use Castrol Dexron. Wouldn't bother with synthetics, especially on older models.

Good luck

Wool

ruf-porsche
12-16-2008, 06:07 PM
Here's a chart. 5 second search on google. Since you have a 89 It is probably Dexron III

http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/Tranny/GM1999Chart.jpg