PDA

View Full Version : Please Chime In

CarDriver
12-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Form VS Functionality.

I took the staggered Rondels off the car for the winter and threw on some 15 in BBS rims on there. That Baby rides so much better with stock rims and good old 225 60 15s on her.

The Rondells look great and I am sure that the choice of tires for the rondells have a lot to do with it but they run like $h!t in comparison to the stock wheels.

I am not sure at this point that i will put the rondells back on there next year :dunno: Maybe I will need to pony up the additional 750 bucks and go with better tires. 12 hundred bucks worth to be exact.

Form VS function... What is yout opinion :ouch::hi:

CJ74753
12-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Well I'd have to imagine BMW knew what they were doing with stock so I guess its whether you want the look or the great ride feel. I just don't think I could bring myself to spend $1200 on tires...think of everything else you could do with that money. So I'd probably just go with stock rims and tires.

Nosilw
12-11-2008, 07:38 AM
The bigger the rim the smaller the sidewall on the tire, the harsher the ride. Maybe new tires would help a little but probably not a whole lot, just not enough sidewall rubber to absorb the road shock and give the forgiveness required for a soft ride. M-5s came with 17 or 18 inch rims and have harsher rides too - part of it is the bigger tires and part is the up-graded suspension to improve handling - you have a tough time getting both comfort and handling. M-Sports came with the variable suspension that allows you to switch from sport to comfort - changes the damper rate in the shock - for a noticable difference in ride quality (road feel) and handling respose.

mikes95540i
12-14-2008, 07:59 AM
I have to agree with the others about rim size and sidewall hight. My 95 540i has stock 15" rims and the ride is great! My 97 Volvo C70 Turbo coupe has great looking 5 spoke (stock) 17" rims and very good low profile tires and while I love to drive that car fast and seek out a good curvy road when I can, it does let you experience every rock, bump, and ripple in the road. I love the look but need a little more comfort in my daily driver. I have a bad back (2 fusions in my lower spine and nerve damage).

The wheels on my BMW are the spiderweb looking rims, not my favorite design. I'm thinking about polishing the lip and painting the rest of the rim with automotive gun-metal gray or possibly semi gloss black. (My car is black). Have any of you ever seen this done and if so, did it look worth a damn?
I need to start a new thread on this and will soon.