PDA

View Full Version : Starting issue

Mike-R
12-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Hi,
I can't get my E34 to start after a run, it needs to be left for around 20 minutes depending on how hot it has got but usually no longer than that. Is this a starter motor issue? Is there any decent refurb'd starter places in the UK? Ones on GSF are 125 which is a bit steep.

priceman14
12-14-2008, 01:36 PM
does it not start ONLY "after a run", or do you also have problems starting it when it is a cold start

if it wont start only after you have driven it, then it could be something other than the starter

yaofeng
12-14-2008, 03:04 PM
There is a pin on the diagnosis plug for the starter solenoid. Check the voltage on the pin for 12 volt when the starter is not spinning.

Ryan M
12-14-2008, 03:06 PM
Possible heat soaking of the starter. This used to be a big problem back in the hot rodding days.

Mike-R
12-14-2008, 04:04 PM
does it not start ONLY "after a run", or do you also have problems starting it when it is a cold start

if it wont start only after you have driven it, then it could be something other than the starter

Yeah cold starts fine and once you've left it to cool for a bit it starts fine. What other things could it be?

The guy who sold it to me told me of the problem and reckoned it was due to a melted wire between something and a solenoid. It's a bosch btw.

Ryan M
12-14-2008, 04:12 PM
It could also be vopor lock. Not uncommon.

Mike-R
12-14-2008, 05:18 PM
It could also be vopor lock. Not uncommon.

Not uncommon in cars in general or in the E34? It's a 530 V8 btw, surely this is fuel injected and shouldn't really be a prob?

priceman14
12-15-2008, 01:04 PM
Yeah cold starts fine and once you've left it to cool for a bit it starts fine. What other things could it be?

The guy who sold it to me told me of the problem and reckoned it was due to a melted wire between something and a solenoid. It's a bosch btw.

www.bmwe34.net had a troubleshooting hot starts page and listed a faulty injector or a bad 'check valve' (its near the fuel pump but i have no clue as to what it looks like)
however, that page was for the e34 535i so i'm not sure if it applies to your e34:dunno:

good luck

Mike-R
12-21-2008, 06:02 PM
Little update, when cold the starter motor turns but it doesn't start straight away. It's not a lazy start and a battery issue because it sounds fine. Coolant level warning flashed up when it started doing it, linked? Just a coincidence I imagine.

But this would suggest a fuelling problem of some sort?

Mike-R
12-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the link priceman, I'll give it a read and see if anything is similar in my engine bay when it's light.