View Full Version : my 520 i 1992 suddenly died
12-14-2008, 10:54 PM
can anyone help me yesterday when i was drove home and every thing was ok and i parked normally . After one day I came to the car and it wont start suddenly every thing is died but the battery is very strong the alarm never work and the lights in the dashboard are not turnning on everything related with the electrisity never work and the motor also won`t start the problem seems to be like there is no battery in the car every thing suddenly happened
thank you very much
12-15-2008, 05:13 AM
This appears to be a classic case of a failed crank sensor. When it it goes, it will shut down all engine electronics. The very first check I make is to crank the engine for a few seconds. Then I pull a spark plug ( the most convenient) and see if its wet with gas, or not. If the plug electrodes are wet, then you have an electrical issues. If the plug is dry you have a fuel supply problem. If the plug is wet.... Connect the plug to the coil then ground the plug base. Crank the engine and observe the electrode to see if there'e a spark. No spark will support the engine electrical problem probably caused by a bad crank sensor.
The crank sensor is fairly easy to replace. For most 6 and 8 cylinders, it's located on the
front of the engine, on the passenger side to the upper right. it's secured by a hex bolt.
About $90 U.S.
bimmer dot info
12-15-2008, 07:49 AM
The crank sensor should not cause the dash light problems. All the electronics should still work.
I'd start looking for a bad ground. If everything is out I would pay special attention to the negative and positive battery cables.
12-15-2008, 11:06 AM
Yep, your right. So much for speed reading these posts.
Didn't mention if the engine cranks?
What else is not working?
Is everything electrical dead?
Did you try jumping the battery. Even leaving one dome light on for a period of 6 or more hours will drain a less then new battery. Put a voltmeter across the battery terminals to check the voltage and see if the battery is holding a 12 volt charge.
If the battery is charged, then look at every fuse, both under the hood, and under the rear seat. If the fuses are ok, go look at the fuse/ fusible link that is attached to the battery. Typically it's part a red cable and is housed in a white plastic holder near the battery. This fuse/link is intended to protect your entire electrical system.
If this is ok, I would recommend taking it to an auto electric shop or garage that can track down a short (or loose ground). You will drive yourself nuts trying to do this on your own - They'll look for a voltage drops and shorts.
One last thing, have there been any repairs or modifications just prior to the car loosing electricity?
12-16-2008, 08:10 AM
I m very greatful for u men because I think im lucky with u guys I charged the battery for minutes then I drove the 520 i for 5 minutes then I turn off the engine and when i tried to turn the engine on the engine doesnot start then I charged the battrey for 20 minutes the battery became fully charged then I drove for one hour after that I parked the car to the next day and I turned it on this morning and every thing was ok the engine started without charging it from yesterday the car and the battery were all ok I wonder what was that mistake in the electricity in second word thank u guys for helping me
12-17-2008, 08:12 PM
Glad you figured it out. Like I mentioned, you may have left a dome light on which you wouldn't notice in the day light
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2013, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.