PDA

View Full Version : Blower Fan not working

forrrrrider
12-16-2008, 11:58 AM
The blower fan in our 90 525i does not work, changed out the blower fan fuse, that was blown as well as the heater control fuse which was also blown. Any idea's? Any other fuses to check. The fan appears to bo completely dead.

I purchased this 90 bimmer for my 17 year old Son and he is so anxious to drive it. But, in Calgary Canada we are getting extreme cold temperatures, not much good when u can't defrost the car.

Thanks so much for any help you can provide!!

bimmer dot info
12-16-2008, 12:17 PM
The fan is probably toast. You can get to it from behind the firewall panel. Not much fun to replace.

Jtdimm
12-21-2008, 02:21 PM
I had a similar issue however with a little reasearch including a lot of reading in this forum. I learned that there is more of a chance that the (FSU) Final Stage Resistor was bad then the actual blower going bad. Now for my 325i the replacement process is slightly more difficult then on a 5 series. If you look for posts regarding this you will see some very good instructions on how to replace it, and you will see that it is only about a 10 minute fix once you have the part. I have seen the FSU priced from $60 - $80 but I bought mine from my local dealer for $106.42 total including tax.

Good Luck! and I hope this helps

sleepysal
01-02-2009, 10:08 PM
did you replace the blower resistor ? I think yours has the "sword"

Jtdimm
01-06-2009, 07:32 AM
Yes, I did replace the FSU (Final Stage REsistor) and it fixed my problem. I am not familiar with the 1990 5 series that the original post was talking about, but I can say I did alot of research here and in other BMW forums, and in every case I looked at the FSU was the problem. I even read where people had taken out the blower motor only to find out the actual blower motor was fine, and the problem turned out to be the FSU.

The replacement unit can be found in alot of place's. I am a purist so I bought mine from my dealer, but I have seen them priced from $60.00 - $100.00 I paid the $100.00 and it took me about 1.5 hours to replace it, however I went extremely slow also I have a 3 series and it is harder to get to on a 3 series. The replacement procedure on a 5 seriese takes only about 5 - 10 minutes depending on the year.