PDA

View Full Version : 1995 525i start up issues

Nitram08
12-17-2008, 02:13 PM
I have a 95 525i that will not remain running. It will fire everytime, but will sputter and go dead as soon as I let off the accelerator. I have checked the fuel pump relay and tried spraying engine starting fluid in the throttle body, but still have same issue. Any help with this problem would be appreciated.
Thanks

ruf-porsche
12-17-2008, 04:24 PM
Did you check the fuel pump?

Nitram08
12-17-2008, 05:01 PM
Yes, it appears to be pumping fuel. It is very strange as to how this happened.

I drove the car home. Went out about a hour later, started the car. Realizing I had forgotten something in the house, I immediately shut it off. Came back out and tried to start it. Has had the issue ever since.

Thanks

bimmer dot info
12-18-2008, 07:15 AM
If there are no running problems with your foot on the pedal the idle air valve is probably stuck.
You can confirm by pulling the tube that goes to the valve out of the intake boot. Have someone start the car. You should notice a significant amount of air being pulled into the tube. When the engine starts to sputter you should to hear more air being sucked in abruptly. If it seems off try cleaning the valve with deep creep. You can do it through the tube at the intake boot. Just spray it in and let it sit for a bit then start it. If it will maintain idle keep spraying. If not have someone throtle it to keep it running and then spray. Use at least 1/4 of the can.

Nitram08
12-18-2008, 07:57 AM
Thanks, I will give that a try. To clarify, even as I am pressing the accellerator it sputters and will die as soon as I let off the accellerator. It will stay running (sputtering) as long as I keep the accelerator pressed. It will occasionally back back fire during this.

Nitram08
12-18-2008, 08:04 AM
When I say backfire, I mean the sound is coming from the engine, not the exhaust.

bimmer dot info
12-19-2008, 07:22 AM
Ignition system. Start with plugs (Bosch F7LDCR. Not platinums) and move to boots and coils if needed. If you have problems with the coils you probably dont need a full set. Just swap one good coil around.
I'd clean the Idle air valve any way.

Nitram08
12-19-2008, 07:32 AM
Thanks, I wil let you know the outcome.

Nitram08
12-29-2008, 10:20 AM
I replaced the plugs and still have the issue. One thing I noticed on a couple of the plugs I removed was that they were covered in oil.

bimmer dot info
12-29-2008, 01:19 PM
Was the oil on top of the plugs? It can get in there from a leaking valve cover gasket.