PDA

View Full Version : Winter tires-Thoughts?

rdc
12-19-2008, 06:12 AM
Anyone use Firestone Winterforce tires on their e34. I am considering the 205x65x15 size on stock crosspoke wheels rather than 225x60x15.

I keep hearing blizzaks are not real worth the extra money unless you are in aress that are snow covered all the time as they wear out fast on pavement. TIA

attack eagle
12-20-2008, 03:53 AM
no Idea, I'm from the south... we donlt get snow but maybe once a year for 24 hours.

I remember 1 week back in 80 or 81 though when we had snow for 5 days and the roads were solid sheets of ice. that was fun.

CDE
12-20-2008, 04:36 AM
Honestly, any winter tire will be OK. I used to live in a place that got a lot of snow and have had everything from cheap Tiger Paw winters and the best I've had was Nokian's. I find they are all pretty good in the snow, but the more expensive tires often wear nicer and are quieter. I've never had those, but I'm sure they are nice. I think for the money of Blizzaks, Nokians are a little nicer.

rdc
12-20-2008, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the Feedback. I put the Winterforce 205/65/15 on today at $408 for 4 installed and on the road. Winter tires are limited in my area. Blizzaks were special order and Nokians were available 125 miles away and the dealer was an a** on the phone.

We shall see if my e34 experiences mirror your e90 experience. I drove home on city streets never going over 50 and i could tell a different sound form the tires only noticible if I turned the radio off. Otherwise drove fine, actually rode better with less harshnes than my Michelins. I know more when I drive my normal commute/road test on Monday.

I removed /stored my 14,000 mile Michelin Exalto 225/60/15 A/S tires.

mednetlive
12-20-2008, 07:34 PM
My '95 530it does not have a wide selection of tires! I wanted a tire that did well in the snow and handled well on the wet and dry pavement. I did not want to pay a lot so I did my homework and found the Firestone Fuzion. Very inexpensive but highly rated for wear
and snow. We had a major snow fall (12") in Connecticut yesterday and the beast handled as well as could be expected under the conditions. I'd recommend these tires to anyone. Not very "sexy" tires but they do the job and there affordable. Otherwise, load up the trunk with 100 lbs of tube sand.

God Luck

Wool

gmlav8r
12-20-2008, 07:45 PM
Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60.

RocknRoll
12-21-2008, 10:21 AM
Here is a list of Consumer Report's tires that achieved their best rolling resistance rating. The tires at the top of the list are rated higher overall.

* Highly rated:
o All Season
o Michelin X Radial
o Michelin Agility Touring
o Michelin Harmony
o Toyo 800 Ultra
o Sumitomo HTR T4
* Middle rank
o Performance All Season
o Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus
o Continental ContiPremierContact H
* Least benefit
o All Season Ultra High Performance
o General Exclaim UHP
o Continental ContiExtremeContact
Just a little info for you. I have Toyo 910's on my 535i

rdc
12-21-2008, 04:40 PM
Here is a list of Consumer Report's tires that achieved their best rolling resistance rating. The tires at the top of the list are rated higher overall.

* Highly rated:
o All Season
o Michelin X Radial
o Michelin Agility Touring
o Michelin Harmony
o Toyo 800 Ultra
o Sumitomo HTR T4
* Middle rank
o Performance All Season
o Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus
o Continental ContiPremierContact H
* Least benefit
o All Season Ultra High Performance
o General Exclaim UHP
o Continental ContiExtremeContact
Just a little info for you. I have Toyo 910's on my 535i
These are not winter tires. However, thanks for the advice.

a572mike
12-21-2008, 06:04 PM
I've been running Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice's on my E46. AWD? I don't need no steeeenking AWD!

RocknRoll
12-22-2008, 09:46 AM
Well your right RDC. I misread QMLAV8R Quote as a question. Boy it's to easy to get your attention.

alcabinboy@aol.
12-23-2008, 06:31 AM
I live smack in the middle of snow country...Minnesota. Have had a variety of winter tires from various manuf. They're all excellent. Go for the best deal you can find...as long as they're real winter tires, they'll work just fine. With traction control, they make it almost as good as 4wd.

bimmer dot info
12-23-2008, 10:36 AM
Probably better than a 4wd. All 4wd gives you is the ability to get moving. It does not help any when you want to stop or turn.

rdc
12-23-2008, 12:48 PM
I live smack in the middle of snow country...Minnesota. Have had a variety of winter tires from various manuf. They're all excellent. Go for the best deal you can find...as long as they're real winter tires, they'll work just fine. With traction control, they make it almost as good as 4wd.

I like the way you think!
BTW, some love traction control, others hate it for control on ice and snow.

12/24/08
Ran into icy rain on way home yesterday with air temperature at 32-33 degrees. Felt much more secure and had no real trouble. However, there were many accidents with people sliding off the road. Of course there are are so many dumb a** drivers who simply do not understand ice and snow or even rain

RocknRoll
12-24-2008, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by bimmer dot info:
Probably better than a 4wd. All 4wd gives you is the ability to get moving. It does not help any when you want to stop or turn.

I have lived in Canada all but the last four years of my life. You hit the nail right on the head with that comment bimmer dot info. Excellent!!

CDE
12-26-2008, 03:16 PM
Glad you found a set.

I got 2 newerish winters for the front tires because one of the front winter's were mangled somehow...a big wobble. But I got home, and found a nail in my new tire! So incovenient given the time of year because now no one is open and I have to top up the air every morning and afternoon until they reopen on Monday. I also drove out of town to go to my family's house for xmas...luckily it made it there.

I've also found AWD is a lot more fun to drive in the snow because of the much better traction. Stopping is still the same as everyone has mentioned, but dang it's fun driving a WRX STi with studded tires on the snow. Studded tires definitely improve your stopping ability as well.

Anyways, I drove some fairly hairy mountain roads to get were I am now and I didn't get stuck once in the bimmer. There were a few steep hills but you just have to hold a steady speed and keep your momentum up and with winter tires in 5 inches of snow pull up no prob. I enjoy driving in the winter. I grew up in a place that got a few feet of snow every winter and where I live now it doesn't snow as much and doesn't get as cold. I would take 10 inches of snow over 2 inches of slush anyday...

E34freak
12-30-2008, 12:18 AM
just put some dunlap sport 235/45/17 on my 1994 530 and even though they are wide snow tires they are excellent.