PDA

View Full Version : !989 535i doors locked....Help???

Nena
12-20-2008, 09:02 PM
Mechanic said the car was ready to go after he finished working on the instrument cluster. He left it out on the street after he closed his shop so I could pick it up.

All the doors are locked and none will open with the key. I can only open the trunk.

Is there a trick to open the driver's door? Please help.

Thanx in advance

v8mick
12-21-2008, 04:34 AM
Ive had the same problem--and im sure on this site the answer lurks , but, if you go to bmw34.net and look under troubleshooting. You will find the answer.

Have you tried your key on the passenger door? Hold the handle up while you turn key.

Hope this helps.

cpnwrench
12-22-2008, 04:02 AM
:smokin:

Ya ya ya ya,, I know this one........

found it in the Bently manual (doors / security etc) when it happened to me.... an I got a 92. 525.

something about the passenger side like the man says,, apparently when mechanic locked it it went to the "second-stage" lock... wierd I know..

But I believe thats correct, pass side while holding the handle up.

:smokin:

cpnwrench

Daniel Boon
05-08-2013, 05:56 PM
Mechanic said the car was ready to go after he finished working on the instrument cluster. He left it out on the street after he closed his shop so I could pick it up.

All the doors are locked and none will open with the key. I can only open the trunk.

Thanx in advance

I know this advice is late; however ...

Turn key anti-clockwise and life the handle, try separate combinations until you fee resistance on the key and or handle ... and drivers door should unlock, even if (car) battery is flat.

If all else fails, you will need a long thin rod, squat in front of the car where the kidney grill is an gently push the rod - between the bonnet and the panel immediately below it (its a tight fit) guiding it into the bonnet release catch, this will allow you to open the bonnet and put some charge into the car by placing the positive (red) cable clamp on the silver pole (with a dimple in it) and earth the other clamp and then fix to another battery preferable in a running car ... then your locking system will work ...

Daniel Boon (OZ)

Daniel Boon
05-08-2013, 06:04 PM

Thanx in advance

Turn key anti-clockwise and lift the handle, try separate combinations until you fee resistance on the key and or handle ... and drivers door should unlock, even if (car) battery is flat.

If all else fails, you will need a long thin rod tapered to about 3mm (round or square); squat in front of the car where the kidney grill is an gently push the rod - between the bonnet and the panel immediately below it (its a tight fit) guiding it into the bonnet release catch, this will allow you to open the bonnet and put some charge into the car by placing the positive (red) cable clamp on the silver pole (with a dimple in it) and earth the other clamp and then fix to another battery preferable in a running car ... then your locking system will work ...

Daniel Boon
05-08-2013, 06:05 PM

Turn key anti-clockwise and lift the handle, try separate combinations until you fee resistance on the key and or handle ... and drivers door should unlock, even if (car) battery is flat.

If all else fails, you will need a long thin rod tapered to about 3mm (round or square); squat in front of the car where the kidney grill is an gently push the rod - between the bonnet and the panel immediately below it (its a tight fit) guiding it into the bonnet release catch, this will allow you to open the bonnet and put some charge into the car by placing the positive (red) cable clamp on the silver pole (with a dimple in it) and earth the other clamp and then fix to another battery preferable in a running car ... then your locking system will work ...

gmnmsclM540i
05-09-2013, 06:12 AM
Wow this is the thread that led me to the fest when i had this problem a month later(jan 09)

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

BMR_LVR
05-09-2013, 06:22 AM
Wow this is the thread that led me to the fest when i had this problem a month later(jan 09)

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Ah .... good times eh?

reza338
05-09-2013, 07:24 AM
refer to attached file

gmnmsclM540i
05-09-2013, 10:27 AM
Ah .... good times eh?

Well definitely strange to see again

Sent from my DROID RAZR using BimmerApp mobile app

E34ZombieHunter
05-09-2013, 11:55 AM
What is second stage lock?

paperplane94
05-13-2013, 12:54 AM
What is second stage lock?

It double locks the doors so that the lock tab cannot be pulled up by thieves who break a window.