PDA

View Full Version : Cold start issue

Mike-R
12-29-2008, 06:38 AM
When starting from being parked overnight the starter turns fine but it just doesn't fire. You hear it starting to splutter and then finally fires into life. This problem gets slightly worse when the tank is in its last quarter or so of fuel.

It's not lazy starting and the motor seems fine, fuelling problem? It's an E34 530 V8, do these have lift pumps in the tank itself which could be failing? Just a guess.

bimmer dot info
12-29-2008, 09:10 AM
When you go to start it do you turn the key straight to start?
Does it still have trouble firing if you turn the key to run for about 5 sec before you start it? If so you have a bad check valve.
Are you burning any oil?
There is a chance that you might have a leaking injector.

The fuel pump is in the tank. You can replace it wihout removing the gas tank. There is a panel in the trunk under the carpet.

Mike-R
12-29-2008, 09:43 AM
Nah not burning any oil, I also have problems starting from when hot. Turn the key and nothing, no turning or firing.

I tried turning and leaving for 10 seconds before starting but it didn't help much. Are injectors easily accesible and would a leaky one be obvious?

ross1
12-29-2008, 10:00 AM
Not turning isn't going to be a fueling issue.
A leaking injector(s) can cause poor starting because the cylinder(s) is flooded. If black smoke accompanies these long cranking starts I'd look at injectors.
No response at all to turning the key is likely electrical with the fusible link being the most likely suspect. The ignition lock assemblies are also known to fail, usually the lock will have a "wrong" feeling when this happens. There is a pot metal link that connects the key lock barrel with the column lock and switch that twists and eventually fails. BMW was replacing these under a recall for UK owners I seem to remember.

Mike-R
12-29-2008, 01:05 PM
There isn't any black smoke but a distinct smell of fuel after it has been started and once the idle has settled.

Started it just now after been stood for 4 hours so it had cooled down properly but not been stood for long and it started fine. I'll give the injectors a check tomorrow, only causes problems when it has been stood for long periods it'd seem like overnight.

bimmer dot info
12-29-2008, 01:23 PM
The hot start problem could also be with the starter solenoid.

Mike-R
12-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Where can I find this?

Really need to buy a handbook..