PDA

View Full Version : Unusual occurrence this morning

rdc
12-29-2008, 09:21 AM
Tried to start car and it just cranked and cranked. Seemed to labor while cranking but not like battery is low. Finally held throttle to floor and it started ran rough for a few seconds and ran fine after that. Acted like it was flooded.

Yesterday I backed the car out to wash it. Ran it for about 10 seconds. Washed car and put it in garage . It ran again for another 10 seconds. Temperature at that time was about 45 degrees. About 25 degrees this morning.

The M50 engine does not like to started and shut off repeatedly without warming up. Wonder if I basically flooded it or fouled the plugs. Anyway, just an observation at this point.

Lanc3r
12-29-2008, 09:23 AM
Tried to start car and it just cranked and cranked. Seemed to labor while cranking but not like battery is low. Finally held throttle to floor and it started ran rough for a few seconds and ran fine after that. Acted like it was flooded.

Yesterday I backed the car out to wash it. Ran it for about 10 seconds. Washed car and put it in garage . It ran again for another 10 seconds. Temperature at that time was about 45 degrees. About 25 degrees this morning.

The M50 engine does not like to started and shut off repeatedly without warming up. Wonder if I basically flooded it or fouled the plugs. Anyway, just an observation at this point.

Check your ignition wires and distributor. Could be bad spark causing your flooding condition.

rdc
12-29-2008, 12:54 PM
Check your ignition wires and distributor. Could be bad spark causing your flooding condition.

Mine does not have a traditional distribitor or wires. It has 6 individual direct ignition coils with 1.5 year old coil to plug connectors. IMO, my problem this morning is just an unusual occurance. may not repeat.

EyeDoc1
12-30-2008, 03:34 PM
This happens to me about every 6 months or so. Seems that if I don't start it on the first go 'round, the car seems to want to flood. With unusually cold weather here, it did it last weeks It almost, almost catches, but doesn't. Ran the battery to zero, and had to jump start it. Finally caught and then ran like a top. No rhyme or reason for doing that...it just does. My coils are a mixture, with some originals on the '91 525, and some replaced over the years (155,000+ miles). Wonder if I'd be better off replacing all 6 and effectively "starting over". Hate tossing cash into a '91, knowing I'm in line for a family hand-me-down 2008 model (don't ask). Anyway, you ain't the Lone Ranger on this one.

Regards,

C.