PDA

View Full Version : No Brake lights but no warning either.

gmarshall
12-30-2008, 03:39 PM
Driving home today some one pulls up next to me and tells me that my brake lights are out. So I pulled over to check, sure enough no lights. Now I have turn signals and driving lights but when I turn on the lights I get a dash message saying tail lights as I do have a burned out bulb, could that be the only problem? Checked the fuses that's fine, replaced brake light switch under dash in the spring and the turn signals and hazards work.
Last time there was a problem with the brakes I got a warning message on my dash saying so, this time nothing.

HELP I gotta travel across the state on Friday to get my son and need to have brake lights.

bimmer dot info
12-31-2008, 07:31 AM
Can you replace the bulbs or test with a multimeter? If you should be able to use an 1157 bulb to test (just dont leave it in there).

attack eagle
12-31-2008, 08:13 AM
check the switch again. I bet it is a mm or 2 from working. especially since you said you replaced it, Febi?

try tweaking the bracket thing that hits the plunger.

gmarshall
12-31-2008, 09:41 AM
OK I'll check the switch as the bulbs all seem to be in working order. And i figure I'll just replace the fuse even though it looks fine it may have gone out anyway, it looks original if that's possible.

gmarshall
01-01-2009, 09:35 AM
All right the bulbs are all in working order. I have tail lights and reverse lights, I have turn signals and hazards but still no brake lights. I checked the switch and it seems OK but could it have gone bad and not given me a warning message? I have replaced all the fuses that have anything to do with lights. Now I wonder if this has anything to do with it but the other day I stopped at a store and when came out and started my car it wouldn't shift out of park. The shift lock appeared to be stuck so removed it without disconnecting it so I could drive home. So if the switch for the lights is faulty it might not be sending the signal to disengage the shift lock as well.
Any thoughts on the matter?

attack eagle
01-01-2009, 01:18 PM
switch... get your meter out and check it.

gmarshall
01-04-2009, 02:22 PM
OK it ended up being the switch so I called around to find one. NAPA could have it in two days for about $30. Checked the local dealer's parts site and couldn't find it due to its really crappy layout so I called to see if they had it. They did but it was gonna cost $55 what else could I do? Before I took off though I checked their website again this time using my phone and there it was, with an MSRP of $37 and an online price of $29!!! WHAT!?!?!?!? When I got there I said I found it on the website and gave them the price and they sold it for the web price of $29. I am all for makin' a profit but paying another $25 bucks just 'cause I called instead of ordering online is a bunch of crap. So what I'm saying you can get parts for a good price from a dealer but check their website first.

I don't wanna give away the dealer's name but it rhymes with Jill Bacobs near Chicagoland.

Thanks for the input and help.